General Category > Ingredients

Best Way to 'Dry Adjunct'

<< < (2/3) > >>

mpietropaoli:
You know it's funny, I did a raspberry tincture and added it at a ratio of about 1/2 tsp to a pint, and I could really taste the booze.  I used ever clear and not vodka tho.

denny:

--- Quote from: mpietropaoli on May 01, 2013, 10:01:22 AM ---You know it's funny, I did a raspberry tincture and added it at a ratio of about 1/2 tsp to a pint, and I could really taste the booze.  I used ever clear and not vodka tho.

--- End quote ---

I tried vodka tinctures a few times and could always taste the vodka.  I went to just putting the ingredients in secondary and counting on the alcohol and low pH of the beer to protect it, and it's worked every time.  Even with mushrooms I picked myself and did nothing more than brush off the dirt.

reverseapachemaster:
I think your method also depends on how you package beer. If you keg and your kegs go into cold storage or go on tap within a few weeks I doubt you have much to worry about infection because you are highly unlikely to get an infection that can ferment at cool temperatures. If you bottle and after a few weeks of conditioning/carbonation you also put all your bottles in cold storage and/or you drink through them very quickly I also would not worry. However, if like me, homebrew might sit at room temperature for a few months before you drink them then there's a fair opportunity for an unwanted guest to muck up your beer in the bottle. So for me the tincture route makes more sense although I usually make my spice additions at flameout. When adding fruit or vegetable I pasteurize in a little water on the stove before adding. There's a risk of some pectin haze but I'd rather risk hazy beer than infected beer.

blatz:

--- Quote from: denny on May 01, 2013, 11:19:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: mpietropaoli on May 01, 2013, 10:01:22 AM ---You know it's funny, I did a raspberry tincture and added it at a ratio of about 1/2 tsp to a pint, and I could really taste the booze.  I used ever clear and not vodka tho.

--- End quote ---

I tried vodka tinctures a few times and could always taste the vodka.  I went to just putting the ingredients in secondary and counting on the alcohol and low pH of the beer to protect it, and it's worked every time.  Even with mushrooms I picked myself and did nothing more than brush off the dirt.

--- End quote ---

+1

weithman5:
your idea of spraying with star san may work.  the other thing you could try, instead of tinctures with vodka etc, is just make a tincture out of the same or similar beer the alcohol should kill anything, then put in with your fermentation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version