Author Topic: Mangrove Jack's Dry Yeast  (Read 8918 times)

Online alestateyall

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Mangrove Jack's Dry Yeast
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
One package of dry yeast is about 220B cells if you believe Mr. Malty. Other sources say less (http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/#cells_per_gram)

220B is not enough for many lagers so you need more than 1 pack.  Mangrove Jack generically recommends 2 packs for a lager.

So you can pay $8 for 2 packs or $4 for 1 pack plus like $1 worth of DME in a starter. (Prices from rebelbrewer.com)

Anyway, I know that dry yeast is supposed to be convenient but I am wondering if some brewer's troubles with dry yeast in Lagers result from under pitching rather than the quality or strain of yeast.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:46:31 PM by alestateyall »

Online beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
Re: Mangrove Jack's Dry Yeast
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »
One package of dry yeast is about 220B cells if you believe Mr. Malty. Other sources say less (http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/#cells_per_gram)

220B is not enough for many lagers so you need more than 1 pack.  Mangrove Jack generically recommends 2 packs for a lager.

So you can pay $8 for 2 packs or $4 for 1 pack plus like $1 worth of DME in a starter. (Prices from rebelbrewer.com)

Anyway, I know that dry yeast is supposed to be convenient but I am wondering if some brewer's troubles with dry yeast in Lagers result from under pitching rather than the quality or strain of yeast.
Rebel Brewer has Wyeast for $4? You have to factor shipping into all of this as well. Wyeast is $6.25 at Northern Brewer. Still, I think it's better to build up a starter with a pack of liquid yeast over a week and a half and have the fresh, healthy yeast instead of a couple of packs of dry yeast that maybe aren't so healthy and ready to eat.
Besides, the Mangrove Jack's boh lager yeast takes about 3 days to get going. It's annoying.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Online alestateyall

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 07:11:39 AM »

Rebel Brewer has Wyeast for $4? You have to factor shipping into all of this as well. Wyeast is $6.25 at Northern Brewer. Still, I think it's better to build up a starter with a pack of liquid yeast over a week and a half and have the fresh, healthy yeast instead of a couple of packs of dry yeast that maybe aren't so healthy and ready to eat.
Besides, the Mangrove Jack's boh lager yeast takes about 3 days to get going. It's annoying.

Rebel has Mangrove Jack for $4. Liquid yeasts are more. Typical online prices, $6-7.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »

Rebel has Mangrove Jack for $4. Liquid yeasts are more. Typical online prices, $6-7.
I've never used Mangrove Jack yeast, but typically it is not ideal to make a starter with dried yeast.  Pitching more packs is the way to go.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline albionwood

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
I've used the M27 Belgian strain twice and had good results.  First was a Leffe clone, came out fairly close, with loads of spicy character and a definite pepper note.  Dried the beer out very well, too, without using any sugar (1062 down to 1008).  In fact it might have gone a little too far, the mouthfeel was a bit thin.

I saved about a pint of the cake after kegging that beer, and pitched it into a strong gold (OG 1074), along with a packet of T-58.  It went down to 1012.  Drinking that one now, and loving it - good body, complex spicy estery profile. 

Now I have several carboys of cider going with M2, having heard good reviews, and am hoping that lives up to the hype.