Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clarity and pineapple question  (Read 2652 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Clarity and pineapple question
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:44:52 pm »
I recently made a beer using papaya and pineapple. The base beer was a Belgian blonde ale, which I have brewed before. After a recent trip to Hawaii, I decided to make an island inspired beer. So after one week in primary, I racked the beer onto 5 papayas and 2 1/2 lbs of pineapple, and let it set on the fruit for 2 weeks.
I bottled and after one week, I tried one. I put it in the fridge for a couple hours, and poured it into my favorite glass. It was crystal clear. I always get a chill haze that usually goes away after being in the fridge for a couple weeks. But no haze at all on this one. I put a sixer in the fridge and left it over night, and again, no haze.  Now, the beer is a bit sour from the acidity in the pineapple, so I guess my question is this: Does the acidity from the fruit help to clarify the beer?
This is all grain, using yeast from my library, and a recipe I have brewed before, minus the fruit. I am very happy with the end result, but just curious as to why it is so clear so quickly.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Clarity and pineapple question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:28:01 pm »
Papayas are famous for having loads of digestive enzymes in them.  Just guessing - I'd say the papayas are the most likely culprit for the clarity.

I've made spike (fermented pineapple juice).  It was cloudy.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:18:24 am »
I'm with punatic on the papayas - they are used as a meat tenderizer because of they break down proteins.  Chill haze is caused by proteins.  This could very well be the reason it is so clear.  It would be interesting to add some meat tenderizer to a cloudy beer and see if it clears.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:29:07 am »
I might have to do some experimentation with both... But I think I'm more comfortable adding papaya to beer over tenderizer. 8)
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:37:49 am »
If proteolytic enzyme activity is responsible, then pineapple would have a similar effect to papaya. Pineapple contains bromelain, which is a protease similar to papain from papayas, and is also used as a meat tenderizer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:00:06 am »
Well there you go - maybe it's not the papaya then :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:14:14 am »
It probably is a culmination of things.  Between the papaya, pineapple and citric acid you have enough tenderizing agents in the beer to make a steak melt.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?