Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cold conditioning  (Read 6027 times)

Offline espressoman

• 1st Kit
    • Home Brew Page (under construction)
Re: cold conditioning
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:00 am »
I have another question about cold conditioning then.......if I cold condition a beer that I intend on bottling (with priming sugar)...do I bring it out of the cold temp and let it come back up to room temp before bottling, or does it affect the yeast when it's cold conditioned?

Thanks guys!
Chris

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 08:35:06 am »
Bottle first, wait until it's carbonated properly, then you can cold condition as long as you like.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:12:12 am »
I recently made a Blonde Ale and I just finished bottling it. The BJCP guidelines say that sometimes Blonde Ales are cold conditioned and Kolshs seem to also be cold conditioned as they are in the same category of beers. However, John Palmer in his book says that Cold Conditioning just helps to participate out large proteins including tannins and phenols which is what fining agents do anyway. I'm of course paraphrasing but my question is if one were to use fining agents, in my case I use whirlfloc, is cold conditioning really necessary?

Ive got a blonde in the keg cold conditioning now. I did use gelatin, and in 3-4 weeks time its very clear and has had time to mature - making for a mighty fine beer. if you can do it, take the extra time and cold condition...i think it makes a nice difference in the finished product.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: