Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starter Boil Duration  (Read 4310 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Starter Boil Duration
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:32:00 am »
I used to always boil my starters for the perfunctory 10 minutes.  Lately, as I see the boil rolling, I'm taking it off after 5 minutes, mainly because I feel it's done and there is no reason to waste another  5 minutes on it. 

So, what's the issue I could be running in to?  I have not seen any issue with the starter itself.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Starter Boil Duration
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:18 am »
The only reason I know for the boiling is sanitation.
If your starters are turning out fine and the beer you ferment with the yeast is turning out fine, then a 5 min boil is working for you.
I boil for 10 min just because I do and its only another 5 min.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:31:58 am »
This will likely ruffle some feathers but, for sanitation it is only necessary to bring it to a boil.

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:38 am »
I agree with zimaclone, and would add anything over 145* will make it safe. So if you think about the amount of time it takes to get it from that to boiling and then back down below you should be good to go.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:09:56 am »
i think you do want to create some hot break with the wort - bringing it up to 145 won't do that I don't think.

I do 10 min cause that's what I've always done - no special reason other than it works.  YMMV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:12:07 am »
I agree with zimaclone, and would add anything over 145* will make it safe. So if you think about the amount of time it takes to get it from that to boiling and then back down below you should be good to go.

I agree with that too.  I'm not an expert on extract or anything but I still would think you want a hot break, no?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:14:34 am »
i think you do want to create some hot break with the wort - bringing it up to 145 won't do that I don't think.

I do 10 min cause that's what I've always done - no special reason other than it works.  YMMV.

LOL, I just clicked through.  I always did 10 mins too, but after hot break I'm like: "why am I standing here?"  If I make 30 starters a year and save 5 minutes on each, then I get 2.5 hours of my life back....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:24:29 am »
Why wait for the hot break if you're not going to separate the trub anyway?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:25:47 am »
Why wait for the hot break if you're not going to separate the trub anyway?

Hmmm.  Good question.  I thought it made it more fermentable.
Dave Zach

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:27 am »
Well, 145F is pasteurization temp, but it must be held for 30 minutes to be effective at that low temp. And don't confuse pasteurization with sanitized. Pasteurization only kills most organisms, not all. That is why ultra-pasteurized milk can be stored longer than pasteurized milk. Higher temp = more dead organisms.
I would agree though that once it boils for a minute or two, you can take it off - even let it sit and cool slowly if you want. The wort is still hot with the burner off.  I do like to boil for a while so the steam will also sanitize my flask and foam stopper.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:33:04 am »
I do like to boil for a while so the steam will also sanitize my flask and foam stopper.
This is why I boil for ~5 minutes for my starters.  You could also sanitize them with starsan or something.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:30 am »
I do like to boil for a while so the steam will also sanitize my flask and foam stopper.
This is why I boil for ~5 minutes for my starters.  You could also sanitize them with starsan or something.

so tom - you of all people would know - we *don't* need to wait for hot break?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 10:44:43 am »
I bring to a boil in the flask and set the timer for 10 minutes while I do assorted other tasks then chill and pitch. Nearly Effortless. :)
Ron Price

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 10:54:26 am »
I bring to a boil in the flask and set the timer for 10 minutes while I do assorted other tasks then chill and pitch. Nearly Effortless. :)

Ron,

Agreed.  But I'm wondering if it needs to be 10 minutes or can you get 5 minutes closer to effortless?   :)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 11:38:16 am »

so tom - you of all people would know - we *don't* need to wait for hot break?

And what is the difference?
Dave Zach