Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp question  (Read 3645 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Fermentation temp question
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 02:34:02 pm »
Good advice everyone! This may not be a good hobby for the OCD brain! I ended up picking up this,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16606386?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
 which (no surprise) doesn't entirely close with my 6.5 gallon carboy. I think I'm going to just cut a small hole at the top for the neck and airlock to stick out while still sealing the lid. Nice cooler though, plenty of room around my carboy for ice or water.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 02:54:41 pm »
Nice!  A big plus is that this cooler can also be used as a rolling kegerator.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Fermentation temp question
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 04:54:16 pm »
Nobody mentioned the type of beer. If you choose to brew Belgians or Saisons your higher temperatures will work well.

Investigate style and yeast and try to brew beer that enjoys those higher temperatures and you won't have any problems;)

Really any other style will really prefer mid 60's so as you move forward you can find something that works.

I use a swamp cooler in the summer and IME need 2-4 2L frozen water bottles twice a day to maintain 62-65 degrees during active fermentation
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »
Nobody mentioned the type of beer. If you choose to brew Belgians or Saisons your higher temperatures will work well.

He said he's using US05. You can't make a Belgian beer with US05 no matter how warm you ferment.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 05:18:11 pm »

He said he's using US05. You can't make a Belgian beer with US05 no matter how warm you ferment.
Sorry, updated original post, American Wheat extract kit.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Fermentation temp question
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 06:55:08 pm »

I get that, I was just trying to point out that if you consider different types of beer you can tailor what you brew to what you have available for process.

Sorry I wasn't clear....
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010