Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling Under CO2 and Beer Maturation  (Read 2333 times)

Offline friarsmith

• 1st Kit
Bottling Under CO2 and Beer Maturation
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:52:33 am »
Background: I have kegged a light lager that used WY2112 steam beer yeast.  It finished out in primary after 21 days and it’s been kegged and refridgerated 8 days as of 3/2/2009.  I carbonated it gradually from 2/28 to 3/2 up to 2.2 volumes.  The beer needs to clear out a little and mature under carbonation, but tastes good given its youth.  I would like to fill a few bottles with my bottling gun and drop them off this weekend for a competition in a few weeks.  I need to make the drop this weekend as I’ll be passing through the area of the competition, and I’d prefer not to ship later on.

Question:  Assuming I use the b-gun correctly, would you expect the beer I bottled today to mature and taste/appear similar to the kegged portion in a few weeks?  Thanks for any thoughts/advice/feedback

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Bottling Under CO2 and Beer Maturation
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:55:56 am »
Since the bottles are smaller than the keg, the maturation process will be faster and clearing should happen faster as well.  Both are affected by the size of the storage vessel.  You may want to use gelatin to clear the keg before you bottle if you have a couple of days and the keg is already down to lagering or drinking temps.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Bottling Under CO2 and Beer Maturation
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:41 am »
+1 for gelatin.

You will have to pull a couple of pints after the gelatin settles to assure you don't bottle the gelatin as well.
Ron Price