General Category > All Grain Brewing

% of Munich for light summer ale

(1/7) > >>

goschman:
Hey Guys. Any advice on how much munich to use in a light bodied "summer" type ale. I plan to use some crystal as well but was thinking about subbing about half of it with munich. Definitely don't want to overdo it but would like to add some complexity and light malt characteristics. I was thinking maybe 5% crystal, 5% munich.

My other thought would be to use Marris Otter as the base malt instead of basic two row to maybe achieve the same result.

morticaixavier:
I just did a light hoppy sort of summer ale with IIRC 30% munich 10L to 78% 2 row and 2% crystal 45 it turned out well. still malty but just enough to balance the hops.

og was 1.040 pitched wlp001 in 5 gallons and wlp545 in the other 5

001 Fg 1.008 545 fg 1.004

goschman:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 01, 2013, 10:59:43 AM ---I just did a light hoppy sort of summer ale with IIRC 30% munich 10L to 78% 2 row and 2% crystal 45 it turned out well. still malty but just enough to balance the hops.

og was 1.040 pitched wlp001 in 5 gallons and wlp545 in the other 5

001 Fg 1.008 545 fg 1.004

--- End quote ---

Can you confirm your percentages? I am a little confused. Should it be 20% munich instead of 30%?

morticaixavier:
math is not good to me. I will check my recipe tonight when I get home and let you know the exact %s

majorvices:
You are  not going to notice 5% of munich. Not really. Munich is a base malt, not really a specialty malt. I mean, it is a specialty malt in some regards (you can't make a bock or doppelbock without it), but you need to use at least 10%, and really upwards of 20% to get a real contribution. I often use if as 80+ % of my basemalt for some of my recipes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version