Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: % of Munich for light summer ale  (Read 12189 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: % of Munich for light summer ale
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 09:24:16 am »
I haven't tried the Bonelander (so?) Briess but it is supposed to be a lot more like German Munich. but I agree, for Munich stick with German maltsters. I prefer Best Malz Munich.

I really like Great Western Munich 10L for American styles.  I use best Munich for continental styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40:40 am »
For 10 gal....very easy to drink... smooth 5.25 abv

13.25 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 59.55 %
9.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.45 %
1.75 oz Pearle [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [3.20 %] (15 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
3 Pkgs Super American (White Labs #WLP060) [Starter 3000 ml] Yeast-Ale

og 1.052
fg 1.012

srm 14
ibu 29-30
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:59:10 am by jimrod »
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
Not to hijack this thread but I'm curious why you don't recommend the Briess munich? Is it too bland? Not malty enough?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
% of Munich for light summer ale
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 11:27:42 am »
Not to hijack this thread but I'm curious why you don't recommend the Briess munich? Is it too bland? Not malty enough?

The "normal" Briess Munich is made with 6 row malt and to me has a weirdly grainy flavor.  The Bonlander is 2 row, but I haven't tried it so I have no personal opinion.  Between Great Western and Best Munichs, I don't have a reason to look any further.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 11:45:40 am »
I haven't tried the Bonelander (so?) Briess but it is supposed to be a lot more like German Munich. but I agree, for Munich stick with German maltsters. I prefer Best Malz Munich.

I really like Great Western Munich 10L for American styles.

Like what, your AmberBock clone? :P

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 05:01:13 pm »

I used it for several batches a few years ago and noticed a drop in efficiency.  It does not have the malt complexity of Wyerman.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 08:20:19 pm »
Thanks for the info. I primarily have access to Briess munich. But, I have used bonlander munich with good results. I will keep this in mind when I need to use regular munich.
Cheers,
Brandon

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 09:59:37 am »
looks good.

Think about mashing fairly high (158ish) so it doesn't attenuate too much. I think that's a big key for session beers.

I think this is the most important thing you can do to make a session beer not watery. I mash my mild at 162. It keeps the body of a normal strength beer, but it isn't cloyingly sweet like crystal.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 06:43:41 pm »
looks good.

Think about mashing fairly high (158ish) so it doesn't attenuate too much. I think that's a big key for session beers.

I think this is the most important thing you can do to make a session beer not watery. I mash my mild at 162. It keeps the body of a normal strength beer, but it isn't cloyingly sweet like crystal.

That sounds great - I would have been fearful of that high of a temperature, but my last mild was disappointingly watery to me.  What kind of FG do you see?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 09:48:44 pm »
My Last Mild started 1.042, and ended at 1.020. Despite the rather high FG, I haven't found it to be very sweet at all. It has a really great body though, and drinks a lot like a porter. I think if I wanted to make something lighter for the summer, I would mash a bitter around 159, and use a bit less crystal. IIRC, this beer had 1/2lb of crystal (60).

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 06:35:47 am »
I was thinking 10% Munich is appropriate.  Too much in a light beer will darken the color.  Maybe you could get away with 15-20%, I have not run the numbers through software.  Depends on how dark you want.  If color doesn't really matter, then yeah, use 20-30% with great effect.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 05:55:37 am »
I was thinking 10% Munich is appropriate.  Too much in a light beer will darken the color.  Maybe you could get away with 15-20%, I have not run the numbers through software.  Depends on how dark you want.  If color doesn't really matter, then yeah, use 20-30% with great effect.

Depends on what Munich.  The color of some of the Light or "Munich I" grains are as low as 6L.  20% of that stuff in a beer made with 2-row or Pale Ale malt is not going to have it's colored affected to the point of detriment. 

Also, 10-15% will give you a slight graininess that is pleasant but not immediately identifiable as Munich malt.  I think it's really nice in a beer like this. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 10:23:10 am »
My Last Mild started 1.042, and ended at 1.020. Despite the rather high FG, I haven't found it to be very sweet at all. It has a really great body though, and drinks a lot like a porter. I think if I wanted to make something lighter for the summer, I would mash a bitter around 159, and use a bit less crystal. IIRC, this beer had 1/2lb of crystal (60).

My porter starts and finishes in the same ballpark as your Mild. I use a bit more crystal malt, but the roasted malts balance that out nicely. Not syrupy at all even at that low of an attenuation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 08:16:13 am »
I ended up using 15% Munich because the brew shop was out of regular 2 row and I was afraid the alternative would make it too malty. I went with 75% pale ale malt and 15% Munich. I plan to brew this again soon where I will go with my original plan of 20%.

Overall the beer was quite tasty. I am considering making this one of my regulars though I am still not sure what it would classify as. I will just call it an "ale" I suppose. I had really poor efficiency on this batch and higher than anticipated attenuation. It had a bit of a watery mouthfeel that seemed to get better with time. The hops came through a bit more than I was expecting but I think that had to do with it being a lighter beer.

Good experience with S04 other than some unexpected floaties for about the first half of the keg. I will continue to use this yeast.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 01:54:25 pm »
What was the other 10%?