General Category > All Grain Brewing

% of Munich for light summer ale

<< < (5/7) > >>

jeffy:

--- Quote from: chezteth on May 02, 2013, 09:26:13 AM ---Not to hijack this thread but I'm curious why you don't recommend the Briess munich? Is it too bland? Not malty enough?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

--- End quote ---

I used it for several batches a few years ago and noticed a drop in efficiency.  It does not have the malt complexity of Wyerman.

chezteth:
Thanks for the info. I primarily have access to Briess munich. But, I have used bonlander munich with good results. I will keep this in mind when I need to use regular munich.
Cheers,
Brandon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

garc_mall:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 02, 2013, 08:12:49 AM ---looks good.

Think about mashing fairly high (158ish) so it doesn't attenuate too much. I think that's a big key for session beers.

--- End quote ---

I think this is the most important thing you can do to make a session beer not watery. I mash my mild at 162. It keeps the body of a normal strength beer, but it isn't cloyingly sweet like crystal.

ynotbrusum:

--- Quote from: garc_mall on May 03, 2013, 08:59:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 02, 2013, 08:12:49 AM ---looks good.

Think about mashing fairly high (158ish) so it doesn't attenuate too much. I think that's a big key for session beers.

--- End quote ---

I think this is the most important thing you can do to make a session beer not watery. I mash my mild at 162. It keeps the body of a normal strength beer, but it isn't cloyingly sweet like crystal.

--- End quote ---

That sounds great - I would have been fearful of that high of a temperature, but my last mild was disappointingly watery to me.  What kind of FG do you see?

garc_mall:
My Last Mild started 1.042, and ended at 1.020. Despite the rather high FG, I haven't found it to be very sweet at all. It has a really great body though, and drinks a lot like a porter. I think if I wanted to make something lighter for the summer, I would mash a bitter around 159, and use a bit less crystal. IIRC, this beer had 1/2lb of crystal (60).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version