General Category > All Grain Brewing

% of Munich for light summer ale

<< < (2/7) > >>

+1 to above.  If you are really concerned about body/'lightness' and allowing hops to shine, maybe consider using 20% 10L Munich and 10% 20L Munich.  Breiss makes both.

The Professor:

--- Quote from: majorvices on May 01, 2013, 06:54:41 PM ---You are  not going to notice 5% of munich. Not really. Munich is a base malt, not really a specialty malt. I mean, it is a specialty malt in some regards (you can't make a bock or doppelbock without it), but you need to use at least 10%, and really upwards of 20% to get a real contribution. I often use if as 80+ % of my basemalt for some of my recipes.

--- End quote ---

I've made light bodied "summer" beers with 100% Munich.  They turned out quite nice.

okay, back home and was I off

46.8% Pilsner
46.8% munich
the remaining split between C40 and c120 (cause that was what I had around)

--- Quote from: mpietropaoli on May 01, 2013, 07:08:43 PM --- Breiss makes both.

--- End quote ---

i would stay away from Briess Munich.  Plenty of good maltsters out there.

I agree with making it at least upwards of 20%. 

I agree with most of the above posts. I think 20-30% is a good target range where you start to get a nice flavor contribution from the Munich. And if you like Munich, you can push it a lot higher, even in a light beer. The only time I would recommend that you keep the Munich under a certain amount would be for a really hoppy style like an APA or IPA. In that case once you start to go over 30% or so the Munich starts to compete with the hops. But even for something like a farmhouse or hoppy summer wheat beer I think you can get away with pushing the Munich up quite a bit higher if you really wanted to.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version