Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to add Honey?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
When to add Honey?
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:49:56 pm »
So i am doing a Belgian Wheat and would like to add 1lb Orange Blossom honey to get that nice nose to it. I want to add it to primary. I have always added it to flame out at about 120 degrees and have had not probs just wanted to try primary to see if it gives it more nose. What do ya think about the possibility of contamination? I will be giving this brew away at the 19th annual mountain brewers beer fest in my home town of Idaho falls in about 5 weeks. We are the only home brew club at the fest, lucky us ( Wildhops.webs.com).

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Re: When to add Honey?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:44:09 pm »
I prefer to add honey to beers 2-3 days after fermentation has been well under way.  There is already alcohol present which will deter any infection from wild yeast or bacteria, and still plenty of yeast rarin' to go to ferment fresh (and simpler) sugars, as long as your chosen yeast is tolerant of higher alcohol %.

No problems after many years of brewing with honey this way.  I use the least-processed honey I can find (i.e. not super-market pasteurized honey).  Local beekeepers' honey is the best and most aromatic, but at least in my neck of the woods, the only local beekeeper honey that is available is usually wildflower.  For varietal honey, I have to drive a bit, or order online.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:50:51 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:12 pm »
I prefer to add honey to beers 2-3 days after fermentation has been well under way.  There is already alcohol present which will deter any infection from wild yeast or bacteria, and still plenty of yeast rarin' to go to ferment fresh (and simpler) sugars, as long as your chosen yeast is tolerant of higher alcohol %.

No problems after many years of brewing with honey this way.  I use the least-processed honey I can find (i.e. not super-market pasteurized honey).  Local beekeepers' honey is the best and most aromatic, but at least in my neck of the woods, the only local beekeeper honey that is available is usually wildflower.  For varietal honey, I have to drive a bit, or order online.

+1.  I boil about 1 quart of water per pound of honey, let the water cool, and add the honey to the water once its cooled to around 180, cover, place in icebath, then add to the fermenter. 

The main benefit is you are ensuring your yeast aren't lazy by just going for the simple sugars first (like those contained in honey).  They are forced to work on the longer chain sugars in your wort, then as they slow down, you basically give them TV Dinners to finish off. 
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:21:36 am »
I like to add it to the primary as the fermentation starts to slow down. Yes, it's a contamination risk, though slight, but it will give you the most honey character.
Mark Gres