General Category > All Grain Brewing

FIRST all-grain: Apricot Ale

<< < (2/3) > >>

btrammel:
good advice - and yes, topping to 5 gallons.  i've set the equipment up in order to do so (hopefully).

Jeff M:
thats an aweful lot of boil volume in a 5 gallon pot for my comfort.  you may want to go purchase an antifoam agent at your LHBS if you are worried.  fermcap is like 3 bucks.  let us know how it turns out!

Jeff

HoosierBrew:
I would add one thing - I've yet to brew with or try a fruit beer made with extract or flavoring that doesn't taste artificial ( for obvious reasons).  If your LHBS has it, or if you can find it online, get an apricot puree instead (look for Oregon brand first) . Your beer will be exponentially better.

HoosierBrew:
......and if you go the puree route, add it to your secondary.  If not, add the extract at the end of primary fermentation, so that the aroma isn't driven out with the CO2.

Wort-H.O.G.:

--- Quote from: HoosierBrew on May 02, 2013, 12:50:24 PM ---......and if you go the puree route, add it to your secondary.  If not, add the extract at the end of primary fermentation, so that the aroma isn't driven out with the CO2.

--- End quote ---
+1 on apricot purée. It's an awesome way to get the apricot flavor. It's about 3.5 lbs if memory serves me, and you can dump it in the secondary, and rack on top of it. A few weeks after its ready to bottle or keg. Don't expect it to be extremely clear though. It will take some lengthy old conditioning to settle, but the slight haze doesn't impact how your beer will taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version