Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp question  (Read 3633 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Fermentation temp question
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:16:41 am »
I'll be brewing my first batch this weekend (American Wheat extract) and have been testing my makeshift fermentation chiller (big plastic tub with water and ice packs). I'm still trying different types and sizes of packs but have the following questions;
1) is a constant temp more important than a lower temp? I'm thinking ill be around 68-70 using packs
2) do frozen water bottles stay colder longer vs the blue gel packs?
3) doing no ice my water tub stays around 73. Will this make bad beer?

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:17:45 pm by flbrewer »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fermentation temp question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:39 am »
I'll be brewing my first batch this weekend and have been testing my makeshift fermentation chiller (big plastic tub with water and ice packs). I'm still trying different types and sizes of packs but have the following questions;
1) is a constant temp more important than a lower temp? I'm thinking ill be around 68-70 using packs

Thanks everyone!

1) all things being equal, maybe....;)  If the constant temp is 75, that's no good.  68-70 is barely acceptable
2) dunno
3) if the water temp is 73, the beer temp will be higher.  Not as much higher as without the water, but enough higher that it won't make great beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:55:51 am »
What yeast are you going to be using? If you can't get the temp below 70, I recommend WLP001/WY1056/US05. They will be the most forgiving at higher temps. I usually hear that fermentation temp is usually about 5 degrees higher than ambient temp depending on the vigor and initial conditions.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:58:35 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:07:48 am »
Go to home depot, buy a couple sheets of Styrofoam insulation and make a box to cover the tub and all. Maybe one sheet would do. Cuts with a knife and you can just tape it together.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:11:46 am »
Go to home depot, buy a couple sheets of Styrofoam insulation and make a box to cover the tub and all. Maybe one sheet would do. Cuts with a knife and you can just tape it together.
After playing with the tub, I may be getting a large cooler. Apparently the 64 quart Igloo works well with a 6.5 carboy.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:12:08 am »
What yeast are you going to be using? If you can't get the temp below 70, I recommend WLP001/WY1056/US05. They will be the most forgiving at higher temps. I usually hear that fermentation temp is usually about 5 degrees higher than ambient temp depending on the vigor and initial conditions.
US05

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:17 am »
If you go to buy the cooler bring your carboy. Make sure to account for airlock or blowoff

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:35:20 am »
If you go to buy the cooler bring your carboy. Make sure to account for airlock or blowoff
good point. I've researched the heck out of it and I have to either 1) use no airlock (foil) or make a hole in the top of the cooler or 3) remove the cover and use a makeshift cover out of foam.
I've posted a similar thread about this a couple of weeks ago.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:44 am »
I would try to maintain a steady temp if possible. Aim for 64-68F range for US05. This yeast performs well from 58-68F range, but I think fermentation temp control is very important for any beer. Start out pitching in the low sixties and allowing the beer to warm up slightly via the natural exothermic reaction of the yeast is best.
Ron Price

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 10:47:48 am »
I remember it. Go forth and conquer. Lots of options out there. I'm a fan of the 14 cf chest freezer with a dual control

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:52:38 am »
I purchased this cooler after a year of filling up my bathtub and rotating frozen 2L bottles:

http://www.target.com/p/igloo-ice-cube-maxcold-70-qt-roller-cooler/-/A-10281497#prodSlot=medium_1_6

I ended up cutting a 3"x3" square into the top of the square for my blowoff valve to pass through. This cooler has incredible insulation.  Last summer, even with my condo being a toasty 72-75 all day, I would only have to rotate 1 16 frozen poland spring bottle every other day and it would hold the water temp at 64 no problem.   

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:57:01 am »
I remember it. Go forth and conquer. Lots of options out there. I'm a fan of the 14 cf chest freezer with a dual control
so am I. Sadly, any big (financial or size) purchases must be approved through the senate as well.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 11:37:31 am »
I'll be brewing my first batch this weekend and have been testing my makeshift fermentation chiller (big plastic tub with water and ice packs). I'm still trying different types and sizes of packs but have the following questions;

Thanks everyone!

also soaking a towel and wrapping it around carboy with it hanging into the ice water bath, and a small fan really helps keep temps down. forget the gel packs, they dont really freeze and loose temp quickly. i used 20lb bag of ice, added chunks of the ice as needed over the week, and had no problems keeping low to mid 60'sF.  good luck.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »
These are all good recommendations.

Here's mine.  It's your first batch.  Do your best.  Don't over stress about temperature and don't think you have to dump it if the temp rises to 70.  Try to keep it in the mid 60s.  You'll have beer either way.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 01:30:07 pm »
These are all good recommendations.

Here's mine.  It's your first batch.  Do your best.  Don't over stress about temperature and don't think you have to dump it if the temp rises to 70.  Try to keep it in the mid 60s.  You'll have beer either way.
+1
Jon H.