Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starter Boil Duration  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Starter Boil Duration
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 11:57:41 am »
Just my $.02 worth but for several years now I just bring the starter up to a full boil, turn off the gas and let it sit for a couple of minutes.  Then I cool it down in the sink using tap water as the water bath.  I have had no issues with this method.

I have always assumed that the time spent to get it boiling and cooled down was enough to sanitize the pan/lid and liquid.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gogreen437

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 12:22:28 pm »
I agree with zimaclone, and would add anything over 145* will make it safe. So if you think about the amount of time it takes to get it from that to boiling and then back down below you should be good to go.

From what I understand, the fermentation process would make it safe in this scenario.  Harmful bacteria, such as salmonella, wouldn't survive it.  But it would survive 145 degrees in a pot/flask and so I would guess some organisms that can spoil your beer that can survive the fermentation process might also.  I believe this is why boiling wort/starters is recommended, basically no bacteria/virus/fungus is going to survive an hour of a vigirous boil.   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:25:46 pm by gogreen437 »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »
I like Tom's method. This says one minute is fine. #7.
http://www.yeastcalc.com/The_Care_and_Feeding_of_Your_Yeast.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:49:50 pm »
I've always boiled 1-2 minutes. Good to see.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:58 pm »
I used to do the ten minute boil because that's what most/all homebrewing literature said you had to do. Now I am in the just-a-few-minutes camp. Once I see boil I let it go for a few minutes but there's really no precision to it.

I guess it's worth pointing out that Yeast makes the point that somewhere in homebrewing ideology came the idea that a ten minute boil equals sterilization but that is not the case because boiling water is not hot enough to sterilize. Actually I'm not sure why it's worth pointing that out...
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »
i microwave it for a minute or so just to get it hot enough to get the dme in solution.
Don AHA member

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 06:01:30 pm »
I generally boil for 60-90 minutes, add hops, chill and give it a minute or 2 of O2. Then I bottle about 2 weeks later :)

Actually, for lagers where I'm doing a true starter and not just a 3-gallon batch of low-gravity brew, I am thinking of going to *gasp* no boil! I figure there can't be much growing in my DME or nutrient, and if I use bottled RO water I should be fine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »
I have sworn off making starters the boil, cool, pitch method. I have found canning them to be way mucho easier and convenient. Actually I canned some up yesterday before work. I use 3oz dme per quart and run the at 15psi for 15 minutes. My pressure cooker holds 7 qts and I usually do three batches. Plenty of room temp starter on hand all the time.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 02:08:24 am »
I do like to boil for a while so the steam will also sanitize my flask and foam stopper.
This is why I boil for ~5 minutes for my starters.  You could also sanitize them with starsan or something.

so tom - you of all people would know - we *don't* need to wait for hot break?
I wouldn't say I "know", but it doesn't seem necessary to me and I never do.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 06:51:48 am »
Well, that settles it for me!  I'm going up to boil, and taking off.  Just saved myself 9 minutes per starter!   :)

Dave
Dave Zach