Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: california select 2 row  (Read 3088 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
california select 2 row
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:36:25 am »
morebeer has it and i'd like to try, mainly because i love the idea of using some malt from the state in which  i live.

has anyone used it?

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: california select 2 row
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:15:24 am »
I've used a lot of the WA select - love it.  I can't tell the difference between that and the regular Great Western 2-row, but I like it anyway.

I haven't tried the CA select, but then I don't live in CA. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:44:23 am »
I use the CA select organic all the time. It's my go to base malt. The only problem I have with it is that while yes, it is grown in Cali, it is also shipped up to Washington to be malted and then shipped back down.

If your aim is using the most locally GROWN ingredients its great. If you are after the LEAST travelled ingredients then the WA select is actually probably your best bet as it's grown close to the maltings.

but overall, I think it's really nice. I am not prepared to make any specific statements of the differences between it and the 'normal' great western pale malt.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
thanks fellas. crazy that it's shipped to washington and back. i hadn't even thought about where it would've been malted. i was born in yakima so i suppose that's okay too.

cheers.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:17:34 pm »
thanks fellas. crazy that it's shipped to washington and back. i hadn't even thought about where it would've been malted. i was born in yakima so i suppose that's okay too.

cheers.

yeah when they first came out with the state select line I spent more time than my boss would have liked had he known researching and calling Great Western to figure it out.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 05:24:28 pm »
ha! if only we could work for google where they encourage outside projects. i think i'll give it a try. i'm sure the difference between it and other base 2 row is hard to distinguish. like i said, i like the idea of using some ingredients from my current state. i have recently decided just to buy from my local shop, williams brewing and morebeer. maybe just occasionally somewhere else for hops i need to stockpile.

thanks again for the input ts and morticai.

cheers.

cheers.

rpl
apertureales