General Category > All Grain Brewing

CLOUDY Weizen

(1/3) > >>

khillje:
So I brewed this hefe and fermented it with some strawberries.  I've never used this yeast strain before (Bavarian Weizen - WLP351).  I did notice in the starter that this yeast looked "clumpier" than any other I've used before.  Now obviously hefes are supposed to be cloudy, but this one came out pretty dense.  Tastes fine once the sulfur cleared out, but is this normal?

Photo might not give it justice:

erockrph:
How did you handle the berries? If you heated them prior to adding them to the fermenter it could be pectin haze.

redbeerman:
Bavarian Weizen yeasts do not flocculate very well and hence give the characteristic (for style) cloudiness.  Along with clove and banana esters.  And they can be quite dense when fresh.

Wort-H.O.G.:

--- Quote from: redbeerman on May 03, 2013, 10:07:36 AM ---Bavarian Weizen yeasts do not flocculate very well and hence give the characteristic (for style) cloudiness.  Along with clove and banana esters.  And they can be quite dense when fresh.

--- End quote ---
+1 but this looks like a malt milk shake! maybe its the grainy picture :o

Wort-H.O.G.:

--- Quote from: khillje on May 03, 2013, 08:39:51 AM ---So I brewed this hefe and fermented it with some strawberries.  I've never used this yeast strain before (Bavarian Weizen - WLP351).  I did notice in the starter that this yeast looked "clumpier" than any other I've used before.  Now obviously hefes are supposed to be cloudy, but this one came out pretty dense.  Tastes fine once the sulfur cleared out, but is this normal?

Photo might not give it justice:

--- End quote ---

is this bottle or keg? besides the pectin mentioned, looks like the first pour from the keg when you get most of the yeast blow off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version