Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: best ereader  (Read 3653 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: best ereader
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:04 am »
My wife has a large screen android phone that is great for browsing and stuff, so I've played with those.  But I can type WAY faster and more accurately on my blackberry keyboard than on her touch screen.

I might do that though, it's on old phone and it's long past time to get a new one.

punatic, amazon has a library you can check books out from, at least for prime users.  I haven't used it much.

when I first got an android phone I felt the same way about typing speed, but then I learned to use the swype function and I think I am much faster on the touch screen now. instead of tapping each letter you just touch the first letter and move your finger through all the other letters in the word lifting off at the last letter. pretty slick once you get used to it and it gets used to you. It has learned all the brewing/beer specific vocab I have thrown at it quite well at this point and can get words like 'krausen' or 'grist', 'fermetation', etc. more accurately than I can type them on a full size key board.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:06 am »
'fermetation', etc. more accurately than I can type them on a full size key board.
;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 11:59:21 am »
'fermetation', etc. more accurately than I can type them on a full size key board.
;D

case in point. that message was typed on a full size keyboard. Swype would have caught that and spelled it correctly.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »
My wife has a large screen android phone that is great for browsing and stuff, so I've played with those.  But I can type WAY faster and more accurately on my blackberry keyboard than on her touch screen.

I might do that though, it's on old phone and it's long past time to get a new one.

punatic, amazon has a library you can check books out from, at least for prime users.  I haven't used it much.

when I first got an android phone I felt the same way about typing speed, but then I learned to use the swype function and I think I am much faster on the touch screen now. instead of tapping each letter you just touch the first letter and move your finger through all the other letters in the word lifting off at the last letter. pretty slick once you get used to it and it gets used to you. It has learned all the brewing/beer specific vocab I have thrown at it quite well at this point and can get words like 'krausen' or 'grist', 'fermetation', etc. more accurately than I can type them on a full size key board.

Since we've already started down this tangent...

I was really hesitant to move away from having a physical keyboard on my smartphone. I went through several models of Treo, then to Windows Mobile, then to the original Droid and Droid 2. I used to do a lot of blog posts on my mobile phone, and I was really afraid the lack of a physical keyboard would slow me down significantly. But I couldn't wait any longer for an upgrade and got the Droid Bionic a couple days after it came out. It didn't take very long to adapt to the on-screen keyboard. I don't use swype, but the predictive keyboard works exceptionally well. I switched to SwiftKey for my primary keyboard about a year ago and am very happy with how well it works.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:17 pm »
m son loves his nook. however he needed a tablet for flying and since we have so much other stuff he got an ipad. i had kindle and nook apps on my phone but now that i have an ipad i use what ever it is they have on it.  i guess if i actually could read well i would know what it was 8)
Don AHA member