Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Resume?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Resume?
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:43 pm »
  Looks like I will be in Idaho the first week of  May. I need to start getting some resumes out. How far back in my employment do I need to go? I have had a LOT of jobs. I was thinking of using my last two, maybe three. That would be about 10 years of history. sound reasonable?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Resume?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:45:25 pm »
   Keep it within 10 years IMHO. Most applications now days only request info that far back. There is a danger (or fear) that work history can be used as a substitute for asking how old you are which would violate one of those sacred no-nos - age religion, gender, etc. For example, if you provide 30 years worth of back ground they will immediately think you are at least 50 and throw your stuff in the trash.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:47:32 pm »
That should be fine. Are you posting on any of the networking sites like Monster or Career Builder and such?
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:38 pm »
10 years of history sounds reasonable.  I usually start losing interest when I'm reading one from a candidate as I get past the last three jobs or so, especially if those cover a good amount of time since that's the most current knowledge and experience the person has anyway.  Just make sure you include anything that's relevant to the position you're currently applying for.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
Thanks guys! Take a look a this, and see what you think. https://www.pongoresume.com/resumeedit.cfm?resumeID=4809951

Not sure if I will be on Monster or not.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »
Looks like you need an account to view that link.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:47:37 pm »
Oh, crap, it let me right in. I guess because I have an account, Oh well.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:03:04 am »
2 or 3 employers.  If you have skills you learned somewhere else, then put it under a 'Skills and Abilities' heading or make sure you mention it in your cover letter.  Its been my experience that the cover letter gets them to look at your resume, and the resume gets you the interview.

Although, who you know get you just as many interviews too...
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline darkerpower

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:36:13 am »
Weaze put it up on careerbuilder.  I've gotten some quality hits from that and they seem to have more job listings than monster.  All i've gotten from monster is spam, scams and aflac recruiters who won't leave me alone. 
"yesterday I was so desperate for a beer that I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers"- Homer Simpson.