Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning of equipment  (Read 1492 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cleaning of equipment
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:45:50 pm »
Looking back over older posts, many people mention OxiClean "free" as the cleaner of choice. Looks like this is a little tough to find locally. What is a widely available product I can use to clean my equipment before I sanitize? Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:38:01 pm by flbrewer »

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Cleaning of equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:58:12 pm »
Of course it isn't free... You have to buy it ;D.
Seriously, your lhbs should have PBW or B-Brite available, which is a similar type product, but geared towards brewing equipment. I use dish detergent on most of my equipment, with no ill effects. Just be very thorough when rinsing. But for beerstone and hard to scrub areas, nothing beats the PBW.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cleaning of equipment
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:43 pm »
Yeah I've got a teeny bag of PBW that came w the kit. I assumed it was for after brew hard to get muck. Maybe I can find some sort of unscented dish soap. 

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:20:38 pm »
Of course it isn't free... You have to buy it ;D.
Seriously, your lhbs should have PBW or B-Brite available, which is a similar type product, but geared towards brewing equipment. I use dish detergent on most of my equipment, with no ill effects. Just be very thorough when rinsing. But for beerstone and hard to scrub areas, nothing beats the PBW.
+ 1
I use the exact same process.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:48 am »
I use PBW hot, 140 - 160 degrees for lines and plate chillers that I can recirculate solution. Doesn't seem to work as well at room temperature, and doesn't seem to keep its cleaning ability very long.

I use oxyclean at room temperature to clean everything else. Really does a nice job on glass carboys. Keep a 5 gallon bucket of solution at all times and toss in the dirty equipment to soak. Seems to last longer.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins