Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CLOUDY Weizen  (Read 3998 times)

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
CLOUDY Weizen
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:39:51 am »
So I brewed this hefe and fermented it with some strawberries.  I've never used this yeast strain before (Bavarian Weizen - WLP351).  I did notice in the starter that this yeast looked "clumpier" than any other I've used before.  Now obviously hefes are supposed to be cloudy, but this one came out pretty dense.  Tastes fine once the sulfur cleared out, but is this normal?

Photo might not give it justice:

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: CLOUDY Weizen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:43:48 am »
How did you handle the berries? If you heated them prior to adding them to the fermenter it could be pectin haze.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:07:36 am »
Bavarian Weizen yeasts do not flocculate very well and hence give the characteristic (for style) cloudiness.  Along with clove and banana esters.  And they can be quite dense when fresh.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:32 am »
Bavarian Weizen yeasts do not flocculate very well and hence give the characteristic (for style) cloudiness.  Along with clove and banana esters.  And they can be quite dense when fresh.
+1 but this looks like a malt milk shake! maybe its the grainy picture :o
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:18:44 am »
So I brewed this hefe and fermented it with some strawberries.  I've never used this yeast strain before (Bavarian Weizen - WLP351).  I did notice in the starter that this yeast looked "clumpier" than any other I've used before.  Now obviously hefes are supposed to be cloudy, but this one came out pretty dense.  Tastes fine once the sulfur cleared out, but is this normal?

Photo might not give it justice:

is this bottle or keg? besides the pectin mentioned, looks like the first pour from the keg when you get most of the yeast blow off.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:48 am »
How did you handle the berries? If you heated them prior to adding them to the fermenter it could be pectin haze.

I think this may be it.  I usually steam my fruit which works quite well, but my steamer broke.  This time I'd put the strawberries in shallow casserole dishes a baked them.  Probably a bit too long.   Nearly looked like puree when adding to the fermenter.  I noticed a lot less fruit character too this time.  Back to the steamer!

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:21:35 am »

is this bottle or keg? besides the pectin mentioned, looks like the first pour from the keg when you get most of the yeast blow off.
[/quote]

It's from the keg.  I'm a bunch of beers past those first yeasty pulls though.  I'm guessing it's the pectin. 

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:24:43 am »

It's from the keg.  I'm a bunch of beers past those first yeasty pulls though.  I'm guessing it's the pectin.
[/quote]

sounds like you're on to it. curious - is it overly yeasty tasting or is it just feel a little thick drinking? how did the strawberry flavor carry over?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »
Strawberries are a low pectin fruit.  I'm skeptical that that's the issue.  How much did you use?  Did the baked strawberries begin to jell as they cooled before you put them in the fermenter?  If not, that's probably not it.   Steaming is a better method, if you feel the need.  You could also freeze them for a week before using them, that would break down the cell walls.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:55:34 pm »
Strawberries are a low pectin fruit.  I'm skeptical that that's the issue.  How much did you use?  Did the baked strawberries begin to jell as they cooled before you put them in the fermenter?  If not, that's probably not it.   Steaming is a better method, if you feel the need.  You could also freeze them for a week before using them, that would break down the cell walls.

Or just roughly chop them add them without doing anything else.  Works for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:15 pm »
Fruit beer.  Yech.

I know it's a weizen, but you could try fining it.

I have the opposite problem in that my weizens seem to drop clear in the keg.

I've had batches of Belgian ale that took forever to clear and I would get a cloudy pour if the keg got jostled at all.  I fined those and jumped them out to another keg.  Problem solved.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 03:27:07 pm »

I have a hefe with added strawberries finishing up right now. I didn't do anything to the strawberries (except thaw them), before adding them to a secondary- should I have chopped them up?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
CLOUDY Weizen
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 06:36:43 pm »

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but you can't overly concern yourself with sanitation of fruit. Yes, there may be some wild yeasts present but the beer is pretty stable at the point you add them in a secondary and the brewing yeast will easily outcompete anything else. I recommend washing well and freezing to break open the juices. But don't try to heat the fruit or you are ruining all the flavor and setting a pectin haze.

A pectin enzyme will probably work clearing the haze.