General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Hydrometer reading for first extract

<< < (2/4) > >>

In The Sand:

--- Quote from: Mark G on May 05, 2013, 07:30:01 AM ---Yes, you should, but it's not completely necessary if you're trying to keep your first brew day simple. With an extract kit, as long as your volume measurements are accurate, your OG will be on target since all you're doing is dissolving a known quantity of sugars in a know quantity of water.

--- End quote ---

+1 But if you plan on continuing to homebrew, get in the habit now.

flbrewer:
I have my hydrometer sitting in a test batch but the temp is still around 80. Can I take a reading or should I let it cool further?

flbrewer:
It's reading 1.10 at 75 degrees. Does this sound right? Should I force the temp down in the test tube with an ice bath or let it settle naturally?

duboman:
Ideally  you want the reading taken at the calibrated temp of the hydrometer-usually 60F

If the reading is off which 1.10 is its because you got a poor mix of wort and top off water which is common.

See above post: with extract its pretty impossible to miss the OG unless you really mess up the volumes:)

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: duboman on May 05, 2013, 04:47:29 PM ---Ideally  you want the reading taken at the calibrated temp of the hydrometer-usually 60F

If the reading is off which 1.10 is its because you got a poor mix of wort and top off water which is common.

See above post: with extract its pretty impossible to miss the OG unless you really mess up the volumes:)

--- End quote ---
+1.  Mix up your wort thoroughly, then try another reading. Like Duboman said though, if you got your kettle volume correct, the gravity takes care of itself with extract.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version