Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amber Ale Recipe- Input Please  (Read 2818 times)

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Amber Ale Recipe- Input Please
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:01:57 pm »
Would like some input on an amber recipe I'm trying out. This is really my first all grain experiment outside of a kit, and I just kind of decided to wing it. Any suggestions/critiques are welcome. Thanks!

9lbs 2-Row Pale
1lb Crystal 40
1lb Biscuit
.5lb Dextrine

Mash @152f for 60 min

.5oz Columbus @60
.5oz Columbus @10
1oz Columbus Dry Hop

WLP060 w/starter recommended by Mr Malty

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Amber Ale Recipe- Input Please
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:22:33 pm »
Too much biscuit.  Cut that down to 4 oz and you're good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:19:10 pm »
I agree with dmtaylor, on the biscuit, but nice recipe.  I may want to try it. I wish I would've been smart enough to make my first few all grain batches with such a simple grain bill.  Let us know how it turns out.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:31:33 pm »
I agree re: biscuit, but I don't think that is dark enough for an amber. If you want the crystal in there, maybe 1lb C80, or .25 C40 and 1lb C80. You could also exchange some of that pale malt for Munich, and go 1/2 and 1/2 munich and pale, or 2/3 pale and 1/3 munich. Simplicity is nice though.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:03:56 am »
And do you even need the dextrine? Usually the body is round enough without such additions. And I'd cut back on the 40L too. You'll still get an Amber. Oftentimes an "Amber" has Munich in the bill somewhere but not absolutely necessary. And maybe a "touch" of something dark like a chocolate malt.

Restraint and simplicity. If you don't get enough of what you want first time around then you can tweak the recipe.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline domes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:14:24 am »
Would like some input on an amber recipe I'm trying out. This is really my first all grain experiment outside of a kit, and I just kind of decided to wing it. Any suggestions/critiques are welcome. Thanks!

9lbs 2-Row Pale
1lb Crystal 40
1lb Biscuit
.5lb Dextrine

Mash @152f for 60 min

.5oz Columbus @60
.5oz Columbus @10
1oz Columbus Dry Hop

WLP060 w/starter recommended by Mr Malty

I like that recipe.  I agree with the comments on cutting back on the biscuit, but everything else is nice.  For an amber, you want some caramel flavor and 1 pd. of 40L is reasonable.  The dextrine will give it some body.  You could throw in a quarter or half pound of munich to give the base malt some additional flavor.  The mash temp is reasonable considering that yeast strain.  Go for it!

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 07:47:40 am »
I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll definitely cut back on the biscuit and go from there. Thanks!

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:14:09 pm »
Just took a pint from the keg, and it doesn't taste too bad! Next time I may try replacing the pale malt with MO and then go from there. Thanks for all the suggestions.