Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Gamma containers

yes
3 (50%)
no
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Gamma pet food containers  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Dragonflylady

• 1st Kit
Gamma pet food containers
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:21:24 am »
Has anyone used gamma vittles containers for fermenting. It says food grade, not sure about temperature tolerances.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Gamma pet food containers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:28:01 am »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:35 am »
Has anyone used gamma vittles containers for fermenting. It says food grade, not sure about temperature tolerances.

several folks in my homebrew club use them and like them. I've looked at them for sure as it would be nice to ferment 10 gallons in a single fermenter
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:40:30 am »
Dragonflylady, I edited your poll to give it yeas and no options...hope you don't mind.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:27:15 am »
I used to use one.  The size, shape, and material (HDPE) are good for brewing.  My least favorite part was cleaning around and under the gamma seal, since beer and gunk can get in there.  I ended up taking it off entirely and using a bucked lid, which fit pretty well.  Also, the gamma seal isn't airtight, but that's not a problem if you're only using it as a primary.

I also wouldn't recommend carrying it when full.  10 gallons is heavy and the handles are hard to grip.

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:27:42 am »
I use them, have two. As for the ring, I drilled 8- 3/16'" holes about one inch from the bottom of the lid, then took tin snips to cut a narrow "^". Bought one of those lid remove tools from Menards for about $5. I keep the lid rig off so sanitizing is easier, then push it on before adding wort. After fermenting and transferring, pop the lid and ring off and pour out the the yeast. For lifting, wife made lifting supports from 2" webbing. Have a cheep Harbor Freight hoist to lift the container into and out of my chest freezer fermenting chamber. For cleaning, I do a rinse of the remaining yeast and junk, fill the container up with hot water and add some PBW. Let that sit for a day, rinse and let dry.

tom