Author Topic: Brew kettle issue  (Read 1028 times)

Offline FLbrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Brew kettle issue
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
I'm cleaning out my Polar Ware brew kettle (10 gallon) for the first time and there is a lot of grey stuff rubbing off when I wash with a sponge. Initially thought it was dirt but even w a wet paper towel there is a lot of it. Any clue what this is?

Online euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Brew kettle issue
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
Is it steel or aluminum?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline FLbrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
SS, looked online apparently normal. Wiped off with a wet paper towel.

Online euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Sounds like grime from manufacturing. Keep wiping. Do a test boil with plain water. RDWHAHB
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
Soap or pbw

- Sent by my R2 unit

Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline FLbrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Brew kettle issue
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »
Never did a test boil, ended up eventually wiping clean with repeated swipes of a sponge and paper towel. In the back of my (OCD) mind, I fear that I'll be drinking a lead filled beer!
On a side note, I called Polar Ware about this and someone told me it was from my water, come on...

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »
Was it one of these http://www.midwestsupplies.com/heavy-duty-stainless-steel-brew-pot-10-gallon.html

I got one of those and went through the same process. I cleaned mine up with vinegar. I figured since it was a brushed finish it was a by product of the manufacturing process. There shouldn't be any lead in it. It is steel.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
Most metal stretching companies use a white/opaque liquid lubricant when forming their pots.  this can become mixed with metal flakes.  it was probably what you where wiping out of your kettle when you cleaned it for the first time.  As long as you cleaned your pot well with some sort of basic degreasing agent ala soap, you should be fine.  I would recommend getting a small jug of PBW to use on any new stainless items:D
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline FLbrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Brew kettle issue
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
Was it one of these http://www.midwestsupplies.com/heavy-duty-stainless-steel-brew-pot-10-gallon.html

I got one of those and went through the same process. I cleaned mine up with vinegar. I figured since it was a brushed finish it was a by product of the manufacturing process. There shouldn't be any lead in it. It is steel.
Similar, this one...
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/polar-ware-stainless-steel-brewing-pot-10-gallon.html

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
Most metal stretching companies use a white/opaque liquid lubricant when forming their pots.  this can become mixed with metal flakes.  it was probably what you where wiping out of your kettle when you cleaned it for the first time.  As long as you cleaned your pot well with some sort of basic degreasing agent ala soap, you should be fine.  I would recommend getting a small jug of PBW to use on any new stainless items:D
That was my thought. Many metal products have a film after manufacturing.  It is probably washed off of consumer products when the customer might examine it before purchase, but possibly not for an online purchase.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958