Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Mills- Barley Crusher  (Read 5901 times)

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
Cleaning Mills- Barley Crusher
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:30:18 pm »
I just used my Barley Crusher for the first time.  What an amazing tool!  I want to make sure that it works for as long as possible.  How should I go about cleaning it?  I just took the Shop Vac to it.  Anything further required.  My old Corona mill seemed to rust over a decade of use- rinsing with water it and drying after each use (probably not wise) .  This new mill is the bees knees.  I cant believe I ever used anything else. 

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: Cleaning Mills- Barley Crusher
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:33:49 pm »
i got a stiff bristled paint brush and use that to clean the bottom and rollers after every grind. i haven't had mine long enough yet but it's supposed to get a little oil once a year.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:04:10 pm »
I'm not sure that a mill needs to be cleaned after each use.  I just leave my rollers dusty.  I suppose that blowing them off with compressed air would be nice, but I haven't seen the need yet.  You definitely don't want to get anything wet.  That will foster the corrosion process. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:15:50 pm »
No clean mill for me

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:19:51 pm »
Water will also lead to bacterial issues as i have read.  keeping it dry and well aired with most of the dust out of it is all you can really hope for.  Monstermills suggested oiling their mills once a year.  i dont have a barley crusher, so i dont know how easy they are to take apart to oil, but the monster mills are very easy to disassemble.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 09:24:22 pm »
Gravity and time seem to work remarkably well on my Barley Crusher. No matter how much I bang/spin it after I mill a batch of grain, there's a mysterious pile of dust underneath the mill after a week or two. I'm not overly concerned about the last little bit of grain remnants that stick to the rollers after that.

I suppose if the last thing you milled was a whole lot of Black Patent all by itself, and you are brewing a helles as your next brew, that may be more of a concern. I tend to mix in my specialty grains with my base malt in the hopper specifically to avoid this scenario.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:27:14 am »
I don't do much beyond vacuuming up the obvious dust.  My BC is likely due to be disassembled and oiled a bit (its been about 3 years) but it is still working fine.

You don't really need to stress over maintenance unless you are crushing huge volumes.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 08:29:00 am »
I condition my grain with water before I mill to get finer crush - .026.  The water makes the grain a bit sticky to the roller mill.  I take a wire brush and clean the rollers as needed. Occasionally need to spray the rollers with fine mist water to get a stubborn spot. Then clean and lube the bushing.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 10:55:16 am »
It's not a bad idea to disassemble and clean your BC periodically. I also replace the roller o-ring each time it breaks since the knurl on my rollers have worn and reluctantly grab the grain at best of times.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis