Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Storage  (Read 3072 times)

Offline jking04

• 1st Kit
Yeast Storage
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:01:55 pm »
Looking to harvest some yeast and wash some other yeast and was curious if you can store in plastic containers? I have several 2oz plastic breast milk (new parents) storage containers that would be perfect, just not sure if plastic will be ok? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: Yeast Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:25 pm »
i just washed some yeast from yesterday's bottling. i used pint glass jars because that's what i have on hand(no where near new parent) and there is plenty of space. 2oz containers seem a bit small but i don't know for sure. it seems if the containers are washed well and sanitized they should work.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:23 pm »
Two ounces is definitely too small for dealing with the amount of yeast you will need for a batch of beer.

I would suggest working with glass canning jars. I use the really big two quart size just because the one quart size can be a little small sometimes.

Offline jking04

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:21 pm »
Kinda what I figured, but wanted to re-use stuff lying around before buying new stuff if possible. Thanks!

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »
I bought a 12 pack 8 oz canning jars at my local supermarket for less than $8.  They work great.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Yeast Storage
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 05:26:22 am »
Plastic is fine as long as it seals tightly. I use large plastic collapsible jugs at brewery. Mason jars for homebrew. Make sure the lid it not tight on glass jars containing brewers years.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:50:26 am »
I've done a yeast swap with a homebrewer that cultures yeast, and he uses these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterile-15ml-Conical-Bottom-Centrifuge-Tube-on-Rack-100-Pack-/290673885852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ad83829c

I'm probably going to pick some up so I can give out / trade slurry at NHC.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 07:09:33 am »
I don't think there's a problem using the breast milk containers. Just keep in mind that you will need a few if you intend to save a whole pitch worth of slurry. If you plan on regrowing them in starters, then these are probably an ideal size.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:56 am »
I use the bags intended for freezing breast milk to freeze wort for starters.  They're about eight ounces and I can usually get four of them filled from just letting the grain bags drain into a bowl.

For yeast, though, I've always just poured the yeast cake into Rubbermaid 1-liter plastic storage bottles.  Unless you have a more precise procedure, I would think pouring into a two ounce container could get messy.

All that said, there's no reason you couldn't use them to store yeast if you want to.  I agree that they would be a good size for growing in a starter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:34:30 am »
Looking to harvest some yeast and wash some other yeast and was curious if you can store in plastic containers? I have several 2oz plastic breast milk (new parents) storage containers that would be perfect, just not sure if plastic will be ok? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Plastic's ok for your baby's milk but YOUR beer's yeast?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:53:13 am »
Thanks!

Just wait until you get the 5 and 8 ounce sizes(oh yeah you will) they will be much better, I don't use the small ones. They have it marked off in ml too. They work great.  When baby food comes along those glass jars work great for hops and other things, I use all the sizes of those.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 05:46:05 pm »
I just store in ziplock bags that fit in a container to give it shape.  Never had a problem....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"