General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Brewing a 5 gallon extract with 5 gallon carboy

<< < (3/3)

flbrewer:

--- Quote from: flbrewer on May 06, 2013, 02:29:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on May 06, 2013, 12:08:45 PM ---Order a 7 gallon bucket from a homebrew site, local homebrew store, or, if you can find it get food grade plastic buckets from local restaurants. As long as you can get the smells out they are great and cheap.

a 5 gallon carboy will be messy if you try to ferment 5 gallons in it. it would be fine for 4 gallons though. Maybe brew up a big barley wine where you won't miss the extra gallon.

--- End quote ---

For the 6.5 carboy I am using now (just started fermentation) how much krausen would be created? The reason I ask is that so far it doesn't look like it will go any higher than the 5 gallon mark.

--- End quote ---

During my 2 5 gallon extract batches (6.5 gallon carboy) the krausen has always gone up about 2-3 inches. Still lots of room above. That being said, I'd love to ditch the carboys.

Jarhno:
I use a 8gal bucket or 6.5gal glass carboy for a primary fermentation and haven't needed to do a blow-off hose for a 5 gal batch. I do, however, prefer the 5gal glass carboy as a secondary fermentor because it has much less headspace so the beer doesn't oxidize. Though I'm under the impression very few people have oxidation problems.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: Jarhno on September 27, 2013, 02:11:35 PM ---I use a 8gal bucket or 6.5gal glass carboy for a primary fermentation and haven't needed to do a blow-off hose for a 5 gal batch. I do, however, prefer the 5gal glass carboy as a secondary fermentor because it has much less headspace so the beer doesn't oxidize. Though I'm under the impression very few people have oxidation problems.

--- End quote ---

mostly because we don't use a secondary. straight from primary to packaging (or bottling bucket) leads to much less worry about oxidation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version