General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Brewing a 5 gallon extract with 5 gallon carboy

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pinski:
Time for someone to pick up a couple buckets!

Jeff M:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on May 06, 2013, 02:32:19 PM ---I regularly have blow offs fermenting 5 gallons is a 6 gallon better bottle.

If you put 5 gallons in a 5 gallon fermenter, you're going to blow out most of your yeast.

The best approach would be to brew a smaller batch or get a larger fermenter.

I have 4 6-gallon fermenters and sometimes they are all full.

--- End quote ---

Thats what happened with me.  Started with 1 bucket and 1 carboy and now i have 6 carboys and 3 buckets.  once your friends and family find out you are brewing, things will start getting handed down too you;)

bigchicken:

[/quote]

For the 6.5 carboy I am using now (just started fermentation) how much krausen would be created? The reason I ask is that so far it doesn't look like it will go any higher than the 5 gallon mark.
[/quote]
This varries greatly. I like many others on this forum have blown out an airlock on a 5 gallon batch using a 6.5 gallon carboy or bucket.  Your best bet is to get some additional large fermentors.

petesbrew:
Use the 5 gallon carboy for your secondary fermentation purposes.  You don't want much head space when you're clearing/conditioning batches that flocculate slowly, so the smaller carboy works well for this.

klickitat jim:
Like a skipping LP... I brew 3-4 batches a month and I don't own any carboys

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version