Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bugs in the bottle  (Read 2572 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Bugs in the bottle
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »
Just bottled my first attempt at a Flanders red, 5 gal batch.  It spent 8+mos in the secondary, pellicle seemed to drop out so I decided to bottle.  SG was still a little high (not sure how much 3/4cup priming sugar would add to that) at 1.014.  Can I expect the yeast and bugs to continue to metabolize leftover sugars/dextrins and it to further drop over time or am I pretty much done beyond carbonation.  Also hoping it sours a bit more with time. I also threw in champagne yeast at bottling to help carb it up.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Bugs in the bottle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:17:05 am »
I'm confused at why you still have such a high gravity, especially if a pellicle formed (which means brett was at least fairly active).

What did your recipe/brewday look like?

What yeast(s) did you use in primary/secondary?

If you used a blend, brett will continue to feed on whatever makes up the 1.014.

Since you added priming sugar and a bottling yeast, you'll already have some carbonation, but 3/4 c still gives you some wiggle room for CO2 from brett.

After the bottles are carbonated, I would drink one every other week or so to see how the carbonation is coming along. When they start to become highly carbonated, either have a party and drink them all or stick them in the fridge (or both).

Moral of the story: you probably have enough residual 'food' in your bottles to make a bottle bomb eventually, but since your brett activity seems pretty weak, you've probably got a little while until that happens. Keep checking those bottles, though - you can never turn your back on brett!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:19:42 am »
I mashed reasonably high at 154F for 60min.  I pitched roselare blend + a bottle of cali ale yeast.  The pellicle was never huge but did form and then dropped.  there was perhaps a little activity of pellicle left at bottling.  The secondary was kept in a basement that probably averages 60F which in retrospect maybe accounts for the slow brett/bacteria activity.  I'll try one in 10 days and see where I am at.  I assume it will take the brett awhile to continue to produce enough gas from residual dextrins. Ive never made a bottle bomb before- do these spontaneously explode or is just dangerous when you open them?

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:46 am »
Will chilling the bottles to say 40F completely halt fermentation once Ive reached where I want it?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:28:08 am »
...Ive never made a bottle bomb before- do these spontaneously explode or is just dangerous when you open them?

Before they build up enough pressure to pop on their own, they'll gush considerably when opening. That's when you know you need to get them in the fridge and drink them up.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:35 am »
Will chilling the bottles to say 40F completely halt fermentation once Ive reached where I want it?

It won't completely stop, but it will slow it down considerably.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:05:02 pm »
well I guess aging is out of the question. 

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:59:24 am »
well I guess aging is out of the question.

It will continue to condition in the fridge; the low temperature will just slow down the flavor (and gas) contribution from Brettanomyces.