Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SG OG BG FG,... why is my post boil reading lower than pre boil?  (Read 9537 times)

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
Twice now I have measured preboil gravity and then post boil and found they are close, but just a bit higher after the boil. All grain, 10 gallons, using a thermopen to check the temperature of my sample. I usually collect about 13 gallons of wort and have around 11+ after 60 minute boil. For example, today I got 1.016 at 180f pre boil (converts to 1.045?) and 1.042 at 70f post boil (1.043?). I am more than happy with my efficiency and all that, but I had thought the gravity would increase as volume decreased during the boil. Any thoughts? Maybe this is within the margin of error considering my instruments.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
SG OG BG FG,... why is my post boil reading lower than pre boil?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »
In reality, even with temp correction, IME readings taken over 100 degrees are worthless.

Also, when was the last time you calibrated your hydrometer?

Generally , assuming your boil off measurements are correct a 8-10 point rise would be expected between pre and post boil
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:52:41 pm by duboman »
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Re: SG OG BG FG,... why is my post boil reading lower than pre boil?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 04:57:32 pm »
If I had to guess, I would also say it has something to do with the accuracy of the calculation used for adjusting for the temperature of the sample.  One trick I use is to put a large, shallow pyrex cake pan in the fridge on the morning of brew day.  When I put a hydrometer sample of wort into the pan, even at boiling temps, the thermal mass and surface area of the pan drops the temp of the sample very quickly into a reasonable range for checking the gravity.  I do that a lot less now that I have a refractometer, though...

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »
Truly, I have never calibrated my hydrometer. But I do have a spare, next brew I will use them both and compare. I am thinking margin of error, and dont worry it too much. Thanks.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »
If measurements over 100f are worthless, how do you get a valid gravity pre boil?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 05:16:10 pm »
If measurements over 100f are worthless, how do you get a valid gravity pre boil?
I take a sample when my wort just comes to a boil, beacause you get better mixing of the wort that way IME, therefore more accurate readings.  But cool the sample to ~ room temp first. I put the sample on a saucer, into the freezer for several seconds. Refractometers (ATC or no) are supposedly not as accurate over 100df. Also , did you boil down to your final volume pretty closely?  That for sure would throw off your post boil OG.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »
I'm not certain, but I bet the relationship between density and temperature is not linear. So the corrections used near 60F would not be valid at higher temperatures.  It shouldn't take too long to cool a sample down either.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:40:26 pm »
FWIW, my samples are probably closer to 80df.  I normally aim for <100df.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:35 pm »
When taking preboil gravity, I put my sample in the freezer until it is below 80F
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
SG OG BG FG,... why is my post boil reading lower than pre boil?
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »

You cool the sample down and then read it, it will take less than an hour to chill a sample and if you want to add DME you have plenty of time

Truly, I have never calibrated my hydrometer. But I do have a spare, next brew I will use them both and compare. I am thinking margin of error, and dont worry it too much. Thanks.

Take 60F distilled water and it should read 1.000, if not then add or subtract the difference for every reading you take with it to calibrate

All brewing tools should be calibrated to ensure your readings are correct, otherwise it's a crap shoot
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:22:36 pm »
I will try some calibration stuff via cooling etc,... And definitely check my readings with my spare hydrometer. Otherwise, the product is good, so okay. Thanks for the good ideas. Chilling the sample, I was relying on conversion software. Darn fine beer, either way.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 09:07:26 am »
I take about 8 oz of the wort from the kettle just after it comes to a boil and put it In a sealed mason jar in the freezer. Sealed because the evaporation from an open container can be significant. Sean Terrill mentioned something like 4 gravity points. so the sample on the saucer is likely higher than the bulk of the pre-boil wort.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:25:23 am »

You cool it down.  I'm not near a fridge when I brew, so I take a sample and put it in a metal cocktail shaker.  I swirl that in a bowl of ice water for maybe a minute and it's down to the mid 60s and I can get a reading.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:54:53 am »
doesn't the cocktail ruin the beer 8)
Don AHA member

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:00:55 am »

I use my ATC Refractometer