General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Yeast Storage

<< < (2/3) > >>

majorvices:
Plastic is fine as long as it seals tightly. I use large plastic collapsible jugs at brewery. Mason jars for homebrew. Make sure the lid it not tight on glass jars containing brewers years.

kylekohlmorgen:
I've done a yeast swap with a homebrewer that cultures yeast, and he uses these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterile-15ml-Conical-Bottom-Centrifuge-Tube-on-Rack-100-Pack-/290673885852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ad83829c

I'm probably going to pick some up so I can give out / trade slurry at NHC.

erockrph:
I don't think there's a problem using the breast milk containers. Just keep in mind that you will need a few if you intend to save a whole pitch worth of slurry. If you plan on regrowing them in starters, then these are probably an ideal size.

Joe Sr.:
I use the bags intended for freezing breast milk to freeze wort for starters.  They're about eight ounces and I can usually get four of them filled from just letting the grain bags drain into a bowl.

For yeast, though, I've always just poured the yeast cake into Rubbermaid 1-liter plastic storage bottles.  Unless you have a more precise procedure, I would think pouring into a two ounce container could get messy.

All that said, there's no reason you couldn't use them to store yeast if you want to.  I agree that they would be a good size for growing in a starter.

BrewArk:

--- Quote from: jking04 on May 07, 2013, 06:01:55 PM ---Looking to harvest some yeast and wash some other yeast and was curious if you can store in plastic containers? I have several 2oz plastic breast milk (new parents) storage containers that would be perfect, just not sure if plastic will be ok? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Plastic's ok for your baby's milk but YOUR beer's yeast?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version