Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Classic Irish Red advice needed!  (Read 1555 times)

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
Classic Irish Red advice needed!
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:59:38 am »
Hey folks!

I'm going to be brewing an Irish red soon (my first time brewing this style) and would like some recipe input. I was planning on using Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. Here it is.

11 gallon batch

60 minute boil
OG .1.053
FG 1.014
22.3 IBU's
13.5 SRM
5.1% ABV

19.5lbs English Pale Ale (90.7%)
8 oz Carared (not in the original recipe, I added this) (2.3%)
8 oz Crystal 120 (2.3%)
8 oz Crystal 40 (2.3%)
8 oz Roasted Barley (2.3%)

2.75 oz East Kent Goldings 5% AA (Bumped up from 2.5oz to keep IBU's on target)

2 tsp Irish Moss
1tsp Nutrient

Nottingham yeast

Mash @ 153 for 60 minutes, batch sparge

Ferment @ 66

I added 8oz of Carared to the recipe and adjusted the other crystal malts down to accomodate for it.  It seems like a clear match for the style.

I've been using a lot of Maris Otter recently and would like to try out something new as a base malt. Does anyone have any recommendations for another interesting tasting British style base malt that would work well for this style? I was hunting around for interesting base malt options and found a few that look promising. If I stick with an English base malt I have several options; standard Pale Ale malt, Maris Otter, Halcyon, Golden Promise, Pearl and Optic. I've also stumbled across something that looks very interesting; Malting Company of Ireland Ale Malt! I only have experience with Maris Otter, the others are all totally new to me. I'm leaning heavily towards trying the Malting Company of Ireland Ale Malt.

Would Nottingham be an appropriate choice for this style? I prefer to use dry yeast when making double batches as it's easier to dose both carboys equally.  I suppose I could just make a large starter of Irish Ale and make sure it's very well suspended before splitting it, I'm probably just worrying too much.

Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated!