Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: For my next stunt  (Read 5922 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: For my next stunt
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:36 am »
This will be my third with 2035. One coming up on the calendar,  one in the fermentor,  one has been conditioning in the kegerator for a few weeks. I've sampled that one and I think it quite nice. Clean but not sterile. Subtle tartness. Works well in a low malty low hoppy beer. Will see how it does in a malt bomb all MO beer.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 07:00:01 am »
I'm glad you like it.  I found it very grainy and did not like the tartness.  To each their own!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 09:26:04 am »
Ok cool then I would be hitting my target if its not like bud

2007 is believed to be Bud's yeast......

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Wyeast seems to confirm this http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=26

Wyeast 2007 is the classic American lager strain. This mild, neutral strain produces beers with a nice malty character and a smooth palate. It ferments dry and crisp with minimal sulfur or diacetyl. Beers from this strain exhibit the characteristics of the most popular lager in America.

Maybe it's the power of suggestion, but I'm definitely picking up a Bud-like note 3 weeks into lagering on my hoppy Helles Bock. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does stick out as a distinct American lager flavor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:46 am »
Yep.  It makes a great CAP no doubt...

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:56 pm »
This will be my third with 2035. One coming up on the calendar,  one in the fermentor,  one has been conditioning in the kegerator for a few weeks. I've sampled that one and I think it quite nice. Clean but not sterile. Subtle tartness. Works well in a low malty low hoppy beer. Will see how it does in a malt bomb all MO beer.

The times I've used 2035 I thought it produced too many fruity esters.  I did a split batch CAP with 2035 and 2124 and much preferred the German yeast.  Let us know how the final products turn out.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 10:15:41 pm »
Well my evil scheme on this one is to make a transition beer for summer time BMC visitors. A beer that might guide them into the world of beer with flavor

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:52 am »
Maybe it's the power of suggestion, but I'm definitely picking up a Bud-like note 3 weeks into lagering on my hoppy Helles Bock. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does stick out as a distinct American lager flavor.
Is it like green apples?  I always get acetaldehyde out of bud.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 01:24:55 pm »
I believe bud leaves Acetaldehyde traces in on purpose

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 10:11:45 pm »
To me Bud is always just too sweet. I don't know if that's the acetaldehyde or not.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 07:00:32 am »
Is it like green apples?  I always get acetaldehyde out of bud.

I'll have to crack into another one tonight and see if I can pick that out specifically. Between the 7 day diacetyl/dry-hop rest and the large amount of Citra/Amarillo/Mosaic/Motueka I used I don't know if there would be much acetaldehyde left or whether it would be drowned in hops even if it was present.

I don't drink enough Bud to be able to say it was something specific to Budweiser, just that there was a hint of something that made me think in the vein of Bud/Busch/PBR/etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 07:56:17 am »
To me Bud is always just too sweet. I don't know if that's the acetaldehyde or not.

i have never noticed it to be sweet. i find it to be more crisp, which could be interpreted as sweet.  i still like plain bud on occasion.
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 10:09:08 am »

I agree with you.  When we got to American lagers in our BJCP study group, I decided that for Bud I'd sit on my deck on a hot day and taste it.  Figured that would be the perfect setting.  I couldn't drink more than half a bottle.  It was just too sickly sweet.  I got a glass of water and decided I preferred that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell