Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Woohoo - Dry Aged!  (Read 5219 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Woohoo - Dry Aged!
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:45:30 am »
My neighbor and I have been dry aging (at the grocery store) a rib roast for 6 weeks now - come this weekend, its getting trimmed into steaks and we'll be feasting on a couple during the Playoffs, and freezing the rest.  

Olive oil, Salt and pepper, maybe some Penzey's Chicago, and a charcoal grill.  Creamed spinach, asparagus and mashed yukons.

Man, I can't wait - so excited I had to post this.  :D ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Re: Woohoo - Dry Aged!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:20 am »
Sounds awesome! What's Penzey's Chicago?  ???
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline blatz

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:44:32 am »
Sounds awesome! What's Penzey's Chicago?  ???

sorry - www.penzeys.com - their "Chicago Steak Seasoning"

Penzey's is a great place for spices if you haven't tried them before. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:48:00 am »
Niiice!!

I love Penzey's English Prime Rib seasoning as well. So did you have a connection at the grocery store or is it some kind of specialty market? I can't see my local Kroger's dry aging a rib roast for me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:52:01 am by Robert »
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:02:38 am »
Wow, pardon my ignorance......What exactly is dry-aging as related to steak?   ???

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:38 am »
So did you have a connection at the grocery store or is it some kind of specialty market? I can't see my local Kroger's dry aging a rib roast for me.

no - our store does it for free - they have a huge aging locker and will allow you to buy a rib (you have to buy a minimum of a 3 rib roast I believe though) and they will age it for you at no extra charge for up to 8 weeks.  I think I am going to start doing this more often.

of course, you can buy the already aged stuff, but that's an extra $10/lb or so.  my buddy and I took advantage of the christmas time sale pricing and teamed up on a 12lber...yum!

I'll have to look for that Engish Prime Rib seasoning on your rec, robert - thanks!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:12:25 am by blatz »

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:49 am »
Wow, pardon my ignorance......What exactly is dry-aging as related to steak?   ???

if you've ever dined at a high end steakhouse (Mortons, Capital Grille, Burns, etc.), you probably had an aged steak. 

basically in a near freezing locker, they hang the steak and essentially let it decay for a minimum of 3 weeks, max of 8.  during that time the outside turns black and I think even a little mold grows, but the inside tenderizes and the flavors concentrate.

here's a wikipedia definition:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:12:14 am »
Jealous! I need to look around to find something like that. I did a 3-bone roast this year for Christmas that I aged in my fridge using the Alton Brown method. Came out awesome without any seasoning other than some Lawrys seasoned salt. My only complaint was a lack of a good fat cap due to the chain grocery store trimming most of it off for looks.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:06 am »
Probably the best steak I have had was from Jeff Ruby's The Precinct in Cincinnati.....I'm still not sure if it is "Dry-aged" from the description of their meat, I'll have to start paying attention to that as you have piqued my interest!

"Jeff Ruby's beef is personally chosen for his steakhouses, exclusively, by one person. Then the beef is aged to his very demanding specifications and, unlike the national chain upscale steakhouses, the steaks are butchered here on the premises.

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:59 am »
Jealous! I need to look around to find something like that. I did a 3-bone roast this year for Christmas that I aged in my fridge using the Alton Brown method. Came out awesome without any seasoning other than some Lawrys seasoned salt. My only complaint was a lack of a good fat cap due to the chain grocery store trimming most of it off for looks.

awesome! - I saw Guy Fieri do something similar and I was considering it, though with 4 refrigerators dedicated to beer/fermentation in the house, selling my wife on using precious real estate in the general family fridge for several days/weeks was going to be a hard push.  then I found out about the free aging and was set.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:55:43 am »
Does it look like this...

Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 10:01:37 am »
Does it look like this...

So how long does a 5 point last in your house? I see the dutch oven out too - bread?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:55:23 pm »
Here I am and ain't had no dinner yet...

May I suggest some Yorkshire pudding to go with that?

Tried the AB method and ultimately pissed my roomies off with it's unique aroma. Wasn't nasty but more old-school butcher shop type of smell. The beef was pretty tasty after a couple of weeks at fridge temp. Boneless roast which I then cut up into steaks.

I didn't share. :P

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis