Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Miss-I-Sippen Event - with Chef Craven  (Read 1948 times)

Offline oxfordarts

• 1st Kit
Miss-I-Sippen Event - with Chef Craven
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:49 pm »
Wine tastings have been popular fundraisers for charitable organizations. The challenge is they hold the air of sophistication often intimidate people who think they will be stuffy, over priced and maybe just a little bit boring.  The rise in micro brews, brew pubs and seasonal beers has made beers popular with everyone.  Leave it to college kids to think of a beer tasting as a fundraiser.

The college students whose creativity poured out this idea are the students in the University of Mississippi Hospitality Management Program.  The students wanted to put their class work to the test by creating an event that required them to handle everything from planning the event, developing a menu, serving as hosts and supporting the community.  The event entitled, Miss-I-Sippin’, pairs two organizations working in partnership to raise funds for community programs. The Arts Council in conjunction with Chef Lee Craven of the University of Mississippi Hospitality Management Program will host the event scheduled for March 25, 2010 at The Powerhouse. 

Chef Craven, the chef for the Hospitality Management Program, will work with student to create a variety of comfort and exotic foods to be paired with over 20 different beers ranging from Coors Lite to the only beer brewed in Mississippi, Lazy Magnolia.  Students of Chef Craven’s will be taught how to create a menu with food cooked and paired with the appropriate ale. The students will also benefit from learning how to plan and organize the event from start to finish. The funds raised from the event will go toward future projects such as this one to help provide culinary experiences, equipment and scholarships for the students.

Funds raised from the event will assist the Arts Council task of transforming the 1928 Powerhouse into a performing arts center for the region. The facility requires $1.2 million in upgrades, renovations, and equipment to become fully functional. Once completed the facility will provide technical requirements for dance, music, live concerts, art exhibits, and theatre.

Blow off the foam and sip a beer while munching on great food at Miss-i-Sippen’.  The party is Thursday, March 25th, from 8 p.m.-9:30 p.m. at the Powerhouse on University Ave.  Tickets are on sale now $20 for students and Art Council members, and $30 for general public. Tickets can be purchased at the Powerhouse at the corner of 14th Street and University (413 South 14th Street, near Newk’s.)  Learn more at www.oxfordarts.com. Or call 662-236-6429.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: Miss-I-Sippen Event - with Chef Craven
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:43 am »
will all the beers served be beers availible in mississippi?
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale