Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: blending beers  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
blending beers
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:09:53 am »
Hey Guys. I brewed a pretty bad 5 gallon batch of beer and it has just been sitting in the keg. I may have to dump it but am trying to avoid that. The issue with the beer it that it is overly hoppy/bitter. It is an American Wheat beer brewed entirely with columbus hops including dryhop. I thought it might mellow out with some conditioning time but not so much.

Could I brew another 5 gallon batch with the same grain bill and very little hops in attempt to blend with the bad batch? I honestly don't know if I will make the effort to do this but was curious about others experience and advice.

Current kegged batch
50% Vienna / 50% Wheat
33 IBUs
4.7% ABV
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: blending beers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:14:40 am »
Yes, you could do that.  You might end up saving the batch or you might end up with 10 gal. of bad beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:32:00 am »
You could also try buying some commercial examples of some styles that might that might make a good match with your beer, then blend them with a sample of your beer in varying proportions. If you find a particular beer/blend to be desireable, then you can plan to brew a batch similar to the commercial example used in the successful blend.
Ron Price

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:36:53 am »
Something like a malty amber might make for a decent blend.  An amber that borders on malty sweet (a style I don't normally care for) might balance out that Columbus bite.
Jon H.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:40:06 am »
If you're not putting it in a competition, just buy a growler of american blond/wheat/lager and add it to the keg to dilute the bitterness.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:45:46 am »
Definitely not being entered in a comp...haha. Thanks guys. I think buying a six pack of commercial beer and mixing it is probably the best/easiest idea. If it is still pretty bad at least the investiment is cheap and quick.

I think I will either need to choke down a few pints or dump a few to make space in the keg.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:03 am »
I got past the "I don't want to dump any of my beer" stage pretty quick, and I'm much better for it. Sure, you could try to blend it, and you might even make a decent beer. But, wouldn't you rather brew 5 gallons of something you want to brew instead of trying to fix something that's broken? Otherwise you've just dedicated 2 brew days and batches to an iffy beer. Sounds like throwing good money after bad to me.

If you really want to try to "fix" that beer, I say dump the batch you have and rebrew a new version of the recipe that is closer to what you want. You'll get a lot more out of it in the end.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:48:34 am »
I got past the "I don't want to dump any of my beer" stage pretty quick, and I'm much better for it. Sure, you could try to blend it, and you might even make a decent beer. But, wouldn't you rather brew 5 gallons of something you want to brew instead of trying to fix something that's broken? Otherwise you've just dedicated 2 brew days and batches to an iffy beer. Sounds like throwing good money after bad to me.

If you really want to try to "fix" that beer, I say dump the batch you have and rebrew a new version of the recipe that is closer to what you want. You'll get a lot more out of it in the end.

You are right. I won't waste the money/time in trying to brew something to blend it with. Blending with some commercial beer may be an option just to have 5 gallons around if I run low.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:45:52 pm »
I got past the "I don't want to dump any of my beer" stage pretty quick, and I'm much better for it.

Definitely in agreement here. I dump 10-20% of the beer I brew, incrementally less as I get more familiar with an ingredient/style/yeast/etc.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:00:19 pm »
What possessed you to put Columbus in a wheat beer? ::)

I would consider mixing it, but the suggestion to dump it isn't a bad one.  I had to dump a batch, and while it hurt a little, in the end it was about $16 worth of ingredients and I'm not broke.  Time counts for something, but again, I'm not broke for time either.  After the little bit of sting, I just brewed another batch and moved on.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 07:25:32 pm »
What possessed you to put Columbus in a wheat beer? ::)

I would consider mixing it, but the suggestion to dump it isn't a bad one.  I had to dump a batch, and while it hurt a little, in the end it was about $16 worth of ingredients and I'm not broke.  Time counts for something, but again, I'm not broke for time either.  After the little bit of sting, I just brewed another batch and moved on.

I was going for a cross between an American Wheat and an APA. Didn't think 33 IBUs would be out of the question with only 2 oz of total hops used in the boil and 1/4 oz as bittering. I severely undershot my efficiency which didn't help.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 07:40:23 pm »
Your beer should lose quite a bit of that bitterness with extended conditioning. Forget about it for about six months then try a few and see how that works.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:54:38 pm »
I once had a batch that didn't quite live up to what I wanted. Debated dumping it. Then I decided to just put it into bottles. When someone came over I opened one up and said try this. First two said not to their taste. However, the third person just was coco over it. When they were ready to leave that night I asked them to help me carry something out to their car. After a few "No Way!" and "Really?" I got a big hug.
I still here about the great beer that I just gave them.
One man's trash. :)
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:02 am »
I once had a batch that didn't quite live up to what I wanted. Debated dumping it. Then I decided to just put it into bottles. When someone came over I opened one up and said try this. First two said not to their taste. However, the third person just was coco over it. When they were ready to leave that night I asked them to help me carry something out to their car. After a few "No Way!" and "Really?" I got a big hug.

We call that "buddy beer" at my house. I stage it in front of my good, commercial beers so my buddies don't dive too deep into my stash.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:08 am »

We call that "buddy beer" at my house. I stage it in front of my good, commercial beers so my buddies don't dive too deep into my stash.
+1 to strategic placement !
Jon H.