Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing an oak barrel  (Read 4038 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Storing an oak barrel
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:06:02 pm »
So a buddy bought one too many 5 gallon oak barrels and has talked me into buying one from him - I will have to brew something to put into it, but how does one store the thing in the interim?  Do I need to buy a handle of bourbon for storage purposes?  It is a once used bourbon barrel from some commercial distillery I am being told....any thoughts?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Re: Storing an oak barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:24:17 pm »
Get a beer in it as quickly as you can. A strong beer. Until then keep the hogsheads (ends) wet. I got a newly used one from a distillery and kept it a month this way before putting a beer in it. I actually kept mine in a spare shower and would water it for 5 minutes once a week. Then I would turn it over on the other end the next week and repeat. A kiddie pool and a water hose could accomplish the same thing.

After the first beer was done aging in the barrel I did wash it out with hot water before putting the 2nd beer in. The whiskey character was greatly diminished after the second beer so for subsequent batches I have continued to wash the barrel out with hot water, but then I pour a 5th of whatever spirit I want to get flavor from (I have used bourbon, rye whiskey, and dark rum - considering port next) and let that soak in for a few days before adding a beer. So far it has help up pretty well. No drying out and no sour flavors.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:09:05 pm »
Take a look through here:

http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/index.php/en/faqs

They're a barrel making company (cooper?) that pretty local to me that I just found out about. Some decent info on how to clean/store barrels. Hope it helps.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:00:23 pm »
It should be fine for a month or more.  Nothing will grow inside since it is saturated with whiskey at this point.  Just keep it sealed and in a cool dry place.  You could add a cup of water if you are worried about it drying out, but I doubt it would in a month.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:09:15 am »
I have continued to wash the barrel out with hot water, but then I pour a 5th of whatever spirit I want to get flavor from (I have used bourbon, rye whiskey, and dark rum - considering port next) and let that soak in for a few days before adding a beer.

Do you pour out the spirits or just add the beer on top?

If you pour it out, how much absorbs into the barrel?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton