Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you hate to be corrected?  (Read 9684 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Do you hate to be corrected?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 10:19:59 am »
I know I SHOULD just hide/unfriend everyone who posts stupid crap, but I have a compulsion to try and make people see the truth. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but they aren't entitled to their own facts.

I'm all about being open to new ideas and perspectives, but only when it's a two-way street. I hate people who think you should be open to their view, but they're not open to yours.
I agree - I have some friends that I disagree with politically but I can have a rational discussion with them, no problem.  It's the ones who say their bit and then jam their fingers in their ears I can't take.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 10:35:06 am »
No one likes to be wrong and no one likes to have it publicly pointed out. 

I used to respond to family members directly with no CC's on stupid, blatantly incorrect info they would send out and gently inform them of what was incorrect and where they could check such things.  It seemed to work for awhile, or so it seemed, until I found out that they just removed me from their mailing lists.  I don't necessarily miss knowing about the next family reunion but it seemed extreme to need to make my younger brother promise to notify if Mom dies.  I really would like to go to the funeral (and not to defend my position in the estate  ;D ).

Now I've decided that I will just delete/ignore info that I disagree with (assuming I'm ever added back to the mail lists).  And I have no use for Facebook, Twitter or any sites that expose person information to the world, even when setup your security "correctly", and just waste time.

Paul (The Old fuddie-duddie and curmudgeon)   8)
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:02 am »
If I've been removed from my family's mailing lists I don't know about it :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 12:26:39 pm »
This xkcd comic sums me up best:

I actually like being able to keep up with what's happening with some of my relatives on FB. definitely have to unsub from certain people though.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Do you hate to be corrected?
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »

I think facebook is for retards. :-\
As someone that donates time to work with challenged people I find this pretty offensive. If you don't like FB, fine, but your choice of expression is just plain wrong.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 04:56:23 am »

As someone that donates time to work with challenged people I find this pretty offensive. If you don't like FB, fine, but your choice of expression is just plain wrong.

"Retarded" just doesn't have the impact it once did I'm afraid.  If I meant "developmentally challenged" I would have said so.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:43 am »

"Retarded" just doesn't have the impact it once did I'm afraid.  If I meant "developmentally challenged" I would have said so.

I suppose I will choose to just disagree with you.......
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 07:34:53 am »
I've replied to my family with so many links from snopes that they don't even bother sending me that kind of thing any more.

And yeah, on facebook I just hide or unfriend people who post stupid or annoying stuff.  It works fine.

Same here. But being a 20 something woman, I have to also hide all the ridiculous amount of babies that show up in the thread. SO MANY BABIES.

I've gotten it down to mostly my homebrew club, beer related things and my fun (and not stupid) friends.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 08:08:11 am »
I'm never wrong ;)  I can't believe no one said that yet. :)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:13 am »

I suppose I will choose to just disagree with you.......

At least you have the cojones go correct me! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 11:29:58 am »
I've replied to my family with so many links from snopes that they don't even bother sending me that kind of thing any more.

And yeah, on facebook I just hide or unfriend people who post stupid or annoying stuff.  It works fine.

Same here. But being a 20 something woman, I have to also hide all the ridiculous amount of babies that show up in the thread. SO MANY BABIES.

I've gotten it down to mostly my homebrew club, beer related things and my fun (and not stupid) friends.
I know what you mean!  I have kids and I get that they are a big part of a parent's life, but I don't need daily updates on what they are doing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 11:42:46 am »
I'm buying groceries at Fred Myers

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33:09 pm »
I'm buying groceries at Fred Myers