Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Death Knell for Keezer?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Death Knell for Keezer?
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:15:00 am »
I think I know the answer, but you all can confirm.

My $80 craigslist bought chest freezer has been operating for 5 years.  Over the weekend, I lowered the temp from 42 to 39 for the summer, and it kicked on.  Later that day, I noticed it was running and at 41.  Later on, still 41 and still running.  I opened hatch, found 1 inch thick frost 3 inches below top of unit (below bottom of collar).  I set to 41, and frost disapated, but continued to run.  Never did that before.

Other symptoms, the exterior used to get warm to touch when cooling....now the outside is only lukewarm in spots (near top where frost builds).

I set temp this morning to 50 to see if it can run and hold temp there (and perhaps thaw whatever problem it might be)...

is this a coolant blockage, compressor starting to (or has) fail(ed), or something fixable?

I am happy with the 5 year life for $80, but would fix if easy/cheap....but am considering paying more for new or newer next time....I have no plans on making it fancy.  Your suggestions are welcome.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Death Knell for Keezer?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:44 am »
I would start by finding the radiator coils.  They may be in back or underneath the unit.  If you haven't cleaned them in 5 years they may be causing your problem.

The fan blows through them to cool the gas and they can become caked with dirt.  Sometimes all you need to do is clean the coils and the frost issue will straighten out.

No guarantees but it has worked on refrigerators for me in the past.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Death Knell for Keezer?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:53 am »
I am good about cleaning my fridges, but you are right, this sounds like an extreme case of dirty coils (at best).  Since I didn't diagnose until the end of the weekend, I had not the chance to poke around....

I will try cleaning....much cheaper than new.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...