Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW  (Read 10514 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: PBW
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 01:43:22 pm »
Better Bottles ... will not shatter.

No but they will stress and crack at the most inopportune times spilling precious homebrew everywhere.  If I do plastic, its a nice thick walled bucket...

While that has never happened to me in 10 years of use, I can't argue with your experience if it has happened to you.  There is the potential for mishaps with any piece of equipment.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 01:48:17 pm »
Most plastics i have experience with will crack when they have been warmed and cooled quickly too many times.  I think the main point here is no matter what material you use, it will have a failure story that is dangerous attached too it.  Just be cautious and aware and you can save you or someone you love a very dangerous experience.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »
Saw a You Tube video about PBW vs. Oxiclean and the person stated that Oxi won't remove metals that will stick around like PBW will. Any truth to this?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 04:23:16 pm »
Well said corky. Good reminder that big shards of flying glass is not good.

My friend broke one while holding it upside down and draining it.  A rather large, sharp piece of the glass sliced into his wrist and he lost a lot of blood.  This makes me think twice every time I drain a carboy.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »
Well said corky. Good reminder that big shards of flying glass is not good.

My friend broke one while holding it upside down and draining it.  A rather large, sharp piece of the glass sliced into his wrist and he lost a lot of blood.  This makes me think twice every time I drain a carboy.
+1.   I've seen one break and got cut cleaning it up fairly badly.  Having kids, SWMBO is happier when I use buckets and better bottles. Don't blame her. And my beer quality is certainly not suffering either.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:52 pm »
Yikes, since this post is turning into a glass vs. plastic carboy post, I'll keep it going...

1) is there any health issues with using plastic fermentors? Any discernible tastes of plastic in the beer?
2) Would plastic be a tougher material vs. glass to maintain temps in my Igloo fermentor? (water and ice in an Igloo cooler)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
Yikes, since this post is turning into a glass vs. plastic carboy post, I'll keep it going...

1) is there any health issues with using plastic fermentors? Any discernible tastes of plastic in the beer?
2) Would plastic be a tougher material vs. glass to maintain temps in my Igloo fermentor? (water and ice in an Igloo cooler)

1/  No health issues if you use food grade,ie. LHBS fermenters.  However, a scratch in your bucket can harbor bacteria since plastic is porous. If the plastic takes on a smell that cannot be cleaned away, replace it. I replace a bucket after ~ 8 or 9 batches usually, not always.  I buy 8 gallon plastic wine fermenter buckets for ~ $17(love 'em), and better bottles for beers where I occasionally use a secondary (barleywine, fruit beer,etc).
2/   Not at all.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
PBW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 06:37:51 pm »

1/  No health issues if you use food grade,ie. LHBS fermenters.  However, a scratch in your bucket can harbor bacteria since plastic is porous. If the plastic takes on a smell that cannot be cleaned away, replace it. I replace a bucket after ~ 8 or 9 batches usually, not always.  I buy 8 gallon plastic wine fermenter buckets for ~ $17(love 'em), and better bottles for beers where I occasionally use a secondary (barleywine, fruit beer,etc).
2/   Not at all.

Ya know, I've heard that bacteria thing or years and I think it's hooey.  Not only have I never had a problem, but I have a hard time imagining bacteria could hide somewhere that PBW and StarSan couldn't get to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 05:36:13 am »

2/   Not at all.

Ya know, I've heard that bacteria thing or years and I think it's hooey.  Not only have I never had a problem, but I have a hard time imagining bacteria could hide somewhere that PBW and StarSan couldn't get to.

I'm starting to think the same way....clean and sanitize well and there are no problems with plastic.  And my back thanks me...Just sayin'
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:46 am »
I see little if not no benefit to carboys. I use Cambro clear food grade buckets that are marked like a giant measuring cup in liters and quarts. I can see what's inside and I can reach inside. Infection free using soap and water and a soft rag, and starsan on brew day.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
PBW
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 06:13:17 am »
I see little if not no benefit to carboys. I use Cambro clear food grade buckets that are marked like a giant measuring cup in liters and quarts. I can see what's inside and I can reach inside. Infection free using soap and water and a soft rag, and starsan on brew day.
Do you have to drill a hole in the lids, or are there ones for brewing available?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 06:48:29 am »
FWIW, I've always used dish soap and a carboy brush. So its not necessary, but scrubbing is more work.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 07:04:33 am »
Better Bottles ... will not shatter.

No but they will stress and crack at the most inopportune times spilling precious homebrew everywhere.  If I do plastic, its a nice thick walled bucket...

My LHBS has a Better Bottle on display with a crack at the bottom where the wall meets the bottom.  The crack apparently was due to chemical stress or some other environmental stress fracture.  It has a sign on it reminding you not to store chemicals (PBW, StarSan, etc.) for extended amounts of time; just clean and sanitize and get the chemicals out and let it dry.  Always put water in first, then the chemicals, etc.  I know I get lazy and let my carboy sit for days with PBW until I get around to cleaning it.  I guess if I ever replace them with Better Bottles I will have to make sure I am careful about that.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Re: PBW
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 07:43:34 am »

Do you have to drill a hole in the lids, or are there ones for brewing available?
[/quote]

I drill a hole for a small stopper/ airlock which also happens to fit a 1/2" blowoff tube. I drill a 1" hole about an inch from the bottom for a spigot. I get the buckets at cash n carry for I think about $12. Spigot is about $2 at homebrew shop.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 07:53:34 am »
My LHBS has a Better Bottle on display with a crack at the bottom where the wall meets the bottom.  The crack apparently was due to chemical stress or some other environmental stress fracture.  It has a sign on it reminding you not to store chemicals (PBW, StarSan, etc.) for extended amounts of time; just clean and sanitize and get the chemicals out and let it dry.  Always put water in first, then the chemicals, etc.  I know I get lazy and let my carboy sit for days with PBW until I get around to cleaning it.  I guess if I ever replace them with Better Bottles I will have to make sure I am careful about that.

I've let mine sit and soak for days on end with no ill effects.   I am not using PBW, so maybe that's the difference.  I dunno.  I've had nothing but good with my BBs.

I agree with this.  I've got one BB where I did not treat it quite right at first and I know it has scratches from a carboy brush.  With good sanititation, I've had no issues fermenting in it.

I did have one infected batch a couple of years ago, but I'm not certain it was this fermenter and one bad batch out of many is not enough for me to toss the fermenter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton