General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Kegging Advice - Am I crazy for offering?

(1/4) > >>

akr71:
No, I'm not asking how to keg - I can browse the forums and figure that out.

A co-worker asked me about the cost of a keg of (store bought) beer for her upcoming wedding.  I told her that she'd have to pay the cost, put a deposit on the keg and rent the tap... or she could get a hand crafted beer from me for the cost of the ingredients.  I was only joking, but apparently she and her fiance and now seriously considering it.

My dilema is that I am not currently setup to keg & I don't have the spare cash for it right now (if I get kegs, then I'm gonna have to build a kegerator, draft tower, etc).  She knows this and offered to buy the kegs and sell them to me afterwards.  Am I stupid for even considering this?  It would be my first time kegging and I fear something would go wrong and I would give her an inferior product.

If I do go through with this, do I get a CO2 system at the same time?  Would a hand pump and picnic tap be good enough, where it is going to be drank all in one day?  And if I go picnic tap, force carb, or prime with sugar?  My gut tells me a priming sugar, hand pump and picnic tap would be good enough, but I'm in unknown territory here.

The fiance is a lager drinker, I think she doesn't mind a (commercial) red ale.

riverrat:
First and most important question, where is the wedding?  If it is at a hotel, ballroom, or any type of place that serves beverages already, their liquor liscense will not allow you to bring in your own alcohol of any type, especially homebrew.

akr71:
The wedding and reception is at the couple's house in their back yard.  Its late July, so I have some time to get my sh!t together and even do a test batch if needed.

riverrat:
That simplifies things greatly!

If I was presented with the opportunity to get into kegging with a bit of help from someone else, and a goal/deadline, i think I would jump on it.

I would recomend going with an actual full keg setup (CO2 tank, regulator, etc....).  If you start watching craigslist etc. now, you should be able to find a used tank and regulator for a reasonable price.

I have also had good luck finding old cornies on craigslist for cheaper than my LHBS charges.  Best deal I found so far was 13 kegs for $200.

You will not regret getting into a full on kegging setup, and will most likely expand it greatly as you go.

bluesman:
+1

I would get a CO2 set-up so you can force carb and control the level of carbonation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version