General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Bottling for Competitions?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jimrod:
I soak my bottles in ice water before I fill them with the beer gun. Anything to keep the foam down.

nateo:
I liked the advice given by the lady from Boulevard during one of the NHC presentations: bottle the batch to three different carb levels, and pick the ones you like best to send to the comp.

jjflash:
+1 Blichmann beergun

Increase the keg CO2 pressure by 0.5 to 1.0 volumes as you are shooting for bottle beer pressure and not lower keg pressure beer in the bottles.   

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: nateo on May 15, 2013, 11:54:40 AM ---I liked the advice given by the lady from Boulevard during one of the NHC presentations: bottle the batch to three different carb levels, and pick the ones you like best to send to the comp.

--- End quote ---

She's good. She gives a bottling demonstration from time to time around the KC area.

But, sometimes I'm not into getting out the Beer Gun, sanitizing the whole thing, etc, etc. So I bottle off a keg with either a bottling wand shoved up a Perlick or a racking cane shoved into a picnic tap. I bottle a couple days before it's due and it seems to work out okay.

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: jjflash on May 27, 2013, 07:47:05 AM ---+1 Blichmann beergun

--- End quote ---

+1000000 (if you're kegging). I just used mine for the first time yesterday. Bottled 3 cases. Easy as pie to sanitize, use, and clean.

I was using a piece of an old racking cane and a bottle stopper attached to a picnic tap before. Worked okay for taking beer to parties, but O2 pickup is huge - hoppy beers don't last long in the bottle, and 2010 Flanders red picking up some acetic acid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version