Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IC Water Waste  (Read 3382 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
IC Water Waste
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:41 pm »
I always felt a little bad about watching all of that water just run down my driveway.  I've been meaning to make a closed system with a pump but have not gotten around to it.  So now that it's summer, I figured I'd just do this:  I feel much better and my wife is happy that her flowers benefit too!

IC_Sprinkler by davidgzach, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:15:35 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline mpmccann

• 1st Kit
  • Old Orchard Brewing - Lewisville, Texas
Re: IC Water Waste
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:20:19 pm »
I just started doing that same thing. I weird how your conscious can get the better of you. ;)
All for Brew / Brew for All

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:33:27 pm »
Not sure that putting hot water on your plants or lawn is a good idea.  Those first several gallons throught the IC are pretty darn hot.  I usually fill up my mash tun for cleaning with the hot water and PBW soak then pump it through a closed loop with a cooler with ice water and submersible pump.  Greatly cuts down on the water waste.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:40:00 pm »
My buddy and i run the IC into a rainwater collection bin.  that way things arnt too hot when he decides to use the water on his plants.  Works pretty good:)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:51:34 pm »
Not sure that putting hot water on your plants or lawn is a good idea.  Those first several gallons throught the IC are pretty darn hot. 

You need to let it run for a few minutes.  It cools down fast....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
IC Water Waste
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:04:10 pm »
I run it into a bucket and use it for cleanup.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:14:06 pm »
I run it through the sprinkler too. And it isn't too hot even initially- by the time the spray falls to the earth the water has cooled substantially.

That's pretty much all the watering I do for the lawn.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:26:18 pm »
when i was using a chiller i would recirc the water through a bunch of foam ice packs in my mash tun with a submersible pump.  kind of rinsed the tun and only used about 4-5 gallons of water. i may start doing this again but with small batches and a four gallon kettle, i have just been throwing it in my fridge overnight
Don AHA member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:11:34 pm »
+1 for clean up and also water my hops (I have to take it via bucket to them so it cools more than enough).

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:39:50 pm »
+1 for clean up and also water my hops (I have to take it via bucket to them so it cools more than enough).

That's why I let the first 3-4 minutes run down my driveway as it goes straight to my hops and is cool by the time it gets there.  Now the rest goes on my lawn and my wife flowers.  I'll build a closed system by the winter.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 05:45:59 am »
My buddy and i run the IC into a rainwater collection bin.  that way things arnt too hot when he decides to use the water on his plants.  Works pretty good:)
+1
I started doing this because my wife guilted me into it.   :)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:01:28 am »
Hmmm, if the water cools so quickly maybe just run the wort through a sprinkler onto a big tarp and catch the runoff in a fermentor.  Already oxygenated too. And you could have cute chicks use it as a slip n slide to give it that old grape smashing feel.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 06:11:20 am »
Hmmm, if the water cools so quickly maybe just run the wort through a sprinkler onto a big tarp and catch the runoff in a fermentor.  Already oxygenated too. And you could have cute chicks use it as a slip n slide to give it that old grape smashing feel.

Chicks are naked, right?  I like the way you think!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 07:46:14 am »
Naked to be reinheitsgebot compliant

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 07:55:43 am »
+1 to the world's only IC water slip and slide. A thing of beauty!
Jon H.