Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Corny and dispense tubing after Berliner Weisse  (Read 2167 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cleaning Corny and dispense tubing after Berliner Weisse
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:43:14 pm »
I'm planning on just doing a PBW soak and then rinse with hot water and Star San... But I'm leery of reusing the QDC, dispense line and cobra tap on regular beers now.  Am I being nutty or would you suggest these all be dedicated for only sours from this point on?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cleaning Corny and dispense tubing after Berliner Weisse
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:40:16 am »
Lactobacillus is not that resilient a bug, I'm sure you can get them clean.  I'd drop them in very hot water (>160F) for half an hour and then put them in Star San.

If you're not aware - there was another thread here saying hot water deactivates StarSan. Not sure if you meant hot water then Star San or mixed with.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:46:17 am »
Take apart the QD and the picnic tap and clean/sanitize them.  Good practice to do once in awhile anyway.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:24:36 am »
There is no worry with ANY* organisms on equipment that is small enough to be boiled.  Hoses, taps, fittings, etc that can fit in a boil pot will be free of any contaminants after boiling.  The problem comes with larger vessels that can't be boiled.  Then you have to rely (hope) that a sanitizer can do its job. 

*  OK thermophylic organisms might not be eradicated through boiling, but they are not typically a problem in the brewery.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »
What's the best way to clean the hoses and the cobra tap?  I clean my kegs with PBW solution and force the PBW solution out through my cobra tap, but the lines are not visibly cleaner even after extended soaks.  Is it possible to disassemble cobra taps?

Offline jhalloran

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »
I'm just about to keg a sour graff I made. I figured I'd just have separate equipment for sours. Wine thief, auto siphon, liquid keg line, etc ...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 01:04:53 pm »
What's the best way to clean the hoses and the cobra tap?  I will clean my kegs with PBW solution and force the PBW solution out through my cobra tap, but the lines are not visibly cleaner even after extended soaks.  Is it possible to disassemble cobra taps?

yup,

At least with mine you can twist the cap at the top, that the thumb lever comes out of, that unscrews and lets you inside the tap. It's pretty simple and easy to clean in there actually.

QDs you can unscrew by using a flat head screw driver in the slot on top of the QD
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce