General Category > Equipment and Software

Mesh bags for hops?

<< < (3/3)

jeffy:
I built a hop spider and used it first for an IPA.  It seemed to get clogged with hop pellets and the resulting beer had less bitterness than I had originally calculated.  I'm sure it would be fine with whole hops.

duboman:

I made this, it's an insinkerator disposal collar and paint strainer bag and work great!

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: jeffy on May 10, 2013, 03:45:35 PM ---I built a hop spider and used it first for an IPA.  It seemed to get clogged with hop pellets and the resulting beer had less bitterness than I had originally calculated.  I'm sure it would be fine with whole hops.

--- End quote ---
I bought the paint strainer bags years ago to use in a hop spider, but after using them this way, I think it's better - I'll tell you why.  After choking the bag into a 3 or 4 inch piece of PVC with overlap at the top, it effectively shrinks the bag maybe in half, negating the ability of the hops to circulate freely. I put 2 clips at each end of the bag as permanent clips, and then a clip in the middle which I remove to add hops at each stage, and then attach when done. There is probably a measureable loss in IBUs, but perceptively, none. Sometimes low tech is a good thing.

leejoreilly:
I just toss my hops (usually pellets) into the boil kettle and let 'em rip. After boiling, I line my pail fermenter with a 5 gal mesh bag, and pour in the hot wort from the kettle. Then pull the bag out and hold it above the fermenter for a minute or so until it drains, filtering most of the hop debris plus hot break material etc, out of the wort. I then drop in my chiller and cool the wort to pitching temp, which avoids having to chill a hot kettle. And I end up with very little trub in with my yeast cake.

ccfoo242:

--- Quote from: duboman on May 10, 2013, 03:58:10 PM ---

I made this, it's an insinkerator disposal collar and paint strainer bag and work great!

--- End quote ---

That is a thing of beauty. Simple and functional. I made something similar with a large cookie cutter.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version