General Category > Equipment and Software

Mesh bags for hops?

<< < (2/3) > >>

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: beersk on May 10, 2013, 11:24:36 AM ---Wouldn't the bag melt if it touches the bottom? Or do you keep the bag off the bottom somehow?

--- End quote ---
I keep mine clipped to the side using small but strong little clamps so that it doesn't touch the bottom. I'm assuming it could, but honestly the turbulence of the boil tends to push it up a bit.

Joe Sr.:
I've never melted a bag in 20 years of using them.

I've tied them off to the pot handles, tied the to spoons laid across the pot, clipped them to the side, etc.  Everything but the hop spider.

If you use the muslin bags they let a lot of hop material through into the wort.

I've heard/seen people claim that the bags can reduce hop utilization by 10%.  I have no idea if that's true.  I have no problem making hoppy beers when I want them.

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on May 10, 2013, 11:47:15 AM ---I've never melted a bag in 20 years of using them.

I've tied them off to the pot handles, tied the to spoons laid across the pot, clipped them to the side, etc.  Everything but the hop spider.

If you use the muslin bags they let a lot of hop material through into the wort.

I've heard/seen people claim that the bags can reduce hop utilization by 10%.  I have no idea if that's true.  I have no problem making hoppy beers when I want them.

--- End quote ---
+1.  I've got an IPA on tap now that has hops to spare. Definitely no perceptible loss to me. Those 5 gallon bags are plenty big.

morticaixavier:
I pinned a hop bag against the bottom of my kettle with the IC for the last 15 minutes of the boil once and it actually burned (it was cotton, not nylon). It charred and blackened as did some of the hops inside and that hefe tasted like campfire forever. However if you can manage not to physically pin it down to the bottom of the kettle you're probably pretty safe.

Jeff M:
ive done that with partial mashes before.  silly muslin bags!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version