Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Pale Ale Fermentation  (Read 1601 times)

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
Belgian Pale Ale Fermentation
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:05:05 pm »
I made a batch of the More Fun Blonde Belgian Pale Ale on AHA Big Brew Day on 5/4/13. My second all-grain batch, done with BIAB. The recipe fermentation schedule was to pitch Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity Ale at 65F, ramp to 75F over 36 hours and finish at 75F. Since I didn't want to mess with a starter, I pitched two smack packs to make sure I had enough viable cells. I probably took 48 hours to ramp from 65 to 75 in my chamber, and it's been in the chamber for a total of ten days now.

This is the highest temps I've fermented at, most of my ales have been in the 62-65 range. At those temps, I leave beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, skip secondary and go straight to keg. How long should I ferment this BPA for, and is there any need for a secondary? TIA for the inputs....
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Belgian Pale Ale Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »
I try to avoid secondary as it is usally uneccessary. I like to cold condition in the keg while it carbs whenever possible so I usually transfer after about 10-14 days or when FG is reached. Have you taken a hydrometer reading to see where your gravity is at now?

That being said, I tend to rush things a bit more than I should. For most of the stuff I brew I have noticed that things taste better with at least 3 weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the keg. It all varies with the style/yeast as well but I mostly use US05.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:25:21 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale