Author Topic: Do you hate to be corrected?  (Read 5209 times)

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
Re: Do you hate to be corrected?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
Facebook is great.... for finding out how stupid your friends and family are.  You're not going to change anyone, so  put their status on ignore  :o
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Online HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 02:22:15 PM »
Facebook is great.... for finding out how stupid your friends and family are.  You're not going to change anyone, so  put their status on ignore  :o
+1.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
I think facebook is for retards. :-\

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Do you hate to be corrected?
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
I think facebook is for retards. :-\

That's an insult to retards everywhere
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
It's not just Facebook, though. I still have a few people who just email their BS. The 2008 elections were the worst.

All this is a great example of how people fall for confirmation bias. They accept any claim as long as it adheres to their current beliefs.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline theoman

• Brewer
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »
This is an amusing thread. I don't mind being corrected, but I generally avoid posting crap that requires correction. My brother, on the other hand, is a bit different. He'll post whatever he wants to believe is true and states it as fact. I called him on it a couple times, so he unfriended me. We haven't communicated since.

I've considered dumping facebook, but when used correctly (like hiding the idiots), it's actually pretty nice. I have a large family and probably wouldn't even know that my niece had another kid if it weren't on FB.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
I've replied to my family with so many links from snopes that they don't even bother sending me that kind of thing any more.

And yeah, on facebook I just hide or unfriend people who post stupid or annoying stuff.  It works fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Online SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Ridge, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 06:26:46 AM »
I've replied to my family with so many links from snopes that they don't even bother sending me that kind of thing any more.

And yeah, on facebook I just hide or unfriend people who post stupid or annoying stuff.  It works fine.

I know I SHOULD just hide/unfriend everyone who posts stupid crap, but I have a compulsion to try and make people see the truth. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but they aren't entitled to their own facts.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 06:34:38 AM »
I know I SHOULD just hide/unfriend everyone who posts stupid crap, but I have a compulsion to try and make people see the truth. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but they aren't entitled to their own facts.

I'm all about being open to new ideas and perspectives, but only when it's a two-way street. I hate people who think you should be open to their view, but they're not open to yours.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »
One big beef I have is that a lot of people want to throw the burden of proof back at you when they are the ones making the claim.

I recently asked someone where they got their numbers from and they said I was lazy and should look it up myself.

Hmm... Burden of Proof, I'll have to use that as a beer name!

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
I have come to the point where I only correct when it is something like the stupid cut onion deal or some other "medical miracle" that the pioneers used.  Something that might prevent someone from actually seeking medical attention, of course now that I think of it, maybe I should just let Darwinian evolution take its course. ;)
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Aachen, DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
One big beef I have is that a lot of people want to throw the burden of proof back at you when they are the ones making the claim.

What's that saying, a lie flies around the world while the truth is putting its boots on?

Trying to correct people is probably a fool's errand. While you're carefully considering and rebutting their claims, they're already onto the next bit of misinformation.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
I call anyone who disagrees with me a Nazi fascist totalitarian racist infidel and just leave it at that. When it comes to religion and politics there's really no point in arguing.

Online mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:59 AM »
I call anyone who disagrees with me a Nazi fascist totalitarian racist infidel and just leave it at that. When it comes to religion and politics there's really no point in arguing.

I'll have to try that
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Online denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »

Godwinned!  End of thread.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe