Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Christmas Beer  (Read 5167 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Christmas Beer
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »
Doesn't Perle hops have a mint like flavor/aroma? I think I remember reading that somewhere. If that's true, it might be a good hop for a Christmas stout...

There are a few hops that supposedly have a mint-like flavor/aroma (Northern Brewer and Polaris are the ones I hear this for most often). I know what they are getting at when they use this descriptor, but it isn't a true spearmint/peppermint flavor. It reminds me more of Ricola cough drops, like a sweet herbal note. Also, I've never actually seen this character make its way into the finished beer. I smell it in the fermenter all the time, but it seems to get washed out by the time the beer is ready to drink.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:17 am »
If you're going to go with mint, definitely seek out peppermint (candy) and not spearmint (toothpaste).

The "mint" normally sold in grocery stores is spearmint.

The most obvious use of mint is in a chocolately stout, which is a good beer to experiment with and have on tap anyway:

Brew up a batch and keg (or bottle all but a gallon or two).
Soak peppermint in a bit of vodka for a few days.
When the beer is ready to drink, pour 3/4 of a pint, dose the peppermint tincture and swirl, taste, and repeat.

This way, if you really hate the mint in the stout, you still have all the base beer to play with other flavors (spices, cocoa nibs, fruit, etc.)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

hschofi

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 06:10:44 pm »
you guys are a plethora or information and guidance!! I was definitive going with a choco stout with the mint.. Peppermint makes good sense I cant imagine had i gonna ahead with spearmint and ended up with toothpaste beer :o... Well in about 2-3 months I will be putting this thing together, but i am going to taste test for sure first!!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 07:49:51 pm »
I bet using fresh mint as a secondary fermentor addition for a small period of time for the aroma would be good. but i couldnt imagine minty tasting beer being very fun to drink more then one at a time.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

hschofi

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:35 pm »
I was really hoping that melting down a bunch of candy canes and pouring it in would work out.. I mean hell seems like Dogfishhead has done a pretty decent job tossing in the kitchen sink and a dump truck of hops and making it work!!! ;D

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:35:39 am »
I was really hoping that melting down a bunch of candy canes and pouring it in would work out.. I mean hell seems like Dogfishhead has done a pretty decent job tossing in the kitchen sink and a dump truck of hops and making it work!!! ;D

Why not? Candy canes are just sugar, peppermint flavoring, and food coloring.

Be careful - molten sugar burns like a SOAB!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

hschofi

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 06:09:51 pm »

Why not? Candy canes are just sugar, peppermint flavoring, and food coloring.

Be careful - molten sugar burns like a SOAB!

Exactly, it cant be bad!

Point noted!! That would leave a mark fir sure!!